10. The mountains

The road is empty and quiet which makes driving down it that much more fun. Outside the grassy vast landscape stretches as far as Dia can see. In the distance hills rise from behind the horizon blending in with the ground like a folded carpet. Dia has never seen this part of the country before.

All his ever known is his town and the city, his family never had any reason to visit the country. The country was where all the rich people built their homes. They didn't need to live close to the city for work so they built their mansions and manors high up in the pollution free mountains.

Tori would have loved it here. Her house was as close as the two of them could get to feeling free. They would sit for hours watching the hills planning out their lives together. To Tori the vast open land represented a kind of freedom she never had. But Dia never liked the country. To him freedom didn't mean escaping somewhere where no one was around to hold you back, freedom to him was living with people and never allowing them to hold him back.

"Did I lose you there for a second?" Andrew asks.

Dia picks his face off the window and smiles at him.

"Sorry. I've just never been here before?" He says.

Andrew rolls his eyes.

"Sure you haven't" he says sarcastically.

"Yes. I haven't" Dia says.

Andrew prys his eyes from the road long enough to frown at him in confusion.

"Seriously?" He asks.

Dia shrugs.

"Yep"

"Why not?"

"Because not all of us have rich parents who have a house in the mountains" Dia says.

As he finishes his sentence they drive over a bridge and the house comes into view. Andrew call it a house but to Dia it looks more like a hotel. It's seven times bigger than his own house back home and considering how there's no fence his guessing the whole countryside is their backyard.

The house is build into the side of the mountain. It's mostly made of wood and black iron. There's two parts to it, the small half being on top. Dia can imagine living here and never finding a reason to leave.

Andrew parks the car and turns to him.

"Two young, horny teenage boys alone in a house together all weekend. Sounds like fun to me" he says.

Dia looks at him and laughs.

"Horny?" He says.

Andrew smiles at his shoes.

"Forget I said that last part" he says and escapes out the door.

Dia rolls his eyes and follows him.

....................

The lights from beneath the pools water do little to eliminate the hills compared to the moonlight. The hills seem even more beautiful and majestic at night. It's like they're alive and Dia can hear they breathing.

Andrew waddles through the water holding two glasses in his hands. He hands one to Dia.

"Did you steal daddy's liquor. Scandalous" Dia says dramatically.

Andrew laughs.

"They hardly ever come here so he won't miss it" he says.

Dia looks down at the golden brown liquid as it sits in the glass. Dia hasn't had any alcohol since he came out of his coma. To be honest with all the medication his been taking he hasn't really been missing out on what being under the influence of something feels like.