27. A big old city.

Dia takes another bite of his donut. It's sweet and soft. His teeth sink into it and it's only now that he realises how hungry he is. The chocolate crust snaps in half and Dia devours the rest of it. He puts his hand back in the bag and pulls out the last one.

"You just ate a dozen donuts without me" Tori says. "I actually kind of feel left out."

Dia takes another bite Looking out at the water. At night the white fairy lights come one, the town put them in to try and make them look less terrifying at night. Dia has never been here at night. It's beautiful. The water reflects the lights and creates a perfect mirror image of everything around them.

"Did you take your pills yet?" Tori asks.

Dia stuffs his hand into his pocket and pulls them out. He put the days amount in there before leaving home. He puts them in his mouth and uses the milkshake he got to drown them with.

"Shouldn't I like disappear or something now?" Tori asks.

Dia shrugs.

"I don't even pretend to understand my own head these days." He says.

The night is alive with sounds as people and cars in town move along the darkness. Being out here by the water makes Dia feel like time has stopped and all his problems are irrelevant.

"You remember how we used to dream about living in a big city together. Walking the busy streets at night watching all the lights as they go by." Tori says.

Dia smiles glad to be thinking about a happy memory from his past with Tori for once.

"We would go to school and work part time during the day. You would work at a coffee shop and me a library where I can spend my free time reading books."

"And I would get us free drinks on those long nights when we have a lot of stuff to study."

Tori smiles as the wind blows through her hair. Dia shuts her eyes and imagines it.

"Sometimes we'd be really late for class so we'd have to run to campus. Holding hands ducking and swerving past people who are actually on time."

"You'd scream at me for spending too long in the shower and finishing all the hot water." Tori smiles.

"And you would argue that it's not your fault, you fell asleep in there."

Tori laughs and Dias heart breaks a little. He looks at her and even though he can see her sitting there he misses her more than words can describe. Like a part of his soul is gone.

"It's not fair Tori." He says tears rolling down his face.

Tori looks at him and smiles her own tears on her face.

"I know. But life has never been nice to us." She says. "You'd think we'd be used to it by now."

Dia laughs.

"We were supposed to change that. Graduate and go to college together. The world was supposed to be this stupid thing we we're going to concur together." He says.

Dia wants to hug her. To cry in her lap and have her play with his puffy hair like she always did. But she's not real and it doesn't matter how much it hurts, he could cry an ocean and it still wouldn't bring her back.

"Someday I'll be living in a big old city and all you're gonna be is mean." Dia says playing the songs melody in his head.

"Someday I'll be big enough that you can't hit me and all you're gonna be is mean." Tori says finishing it.

Dia looks out at the water and for the rest of the night they just sit silently next to each other watching the lights dance on the water.