22. Silence and Headlights

Dias leg hurts more than usual, it's mostly because his been walking for hours. After his conversation with Tori he knew what she wanted him to do.

Toris house comes into view and suddenly Dias legs refuse to move any longer. His been holding on to this secret for so long that even the thought of saying it out loud makes him feel sick. He takes in the cold air. Tori appears beside him and sighs loudly.

"You thinking about turning around? Heading back to your room to sit alone in the dark carrying secrets that should have died with me?"

"Please just shut up." Dia spits.

Tori laughs and it makes Dias heart hurt. A few hours ago he would have given anything to hear her laugh again, but now it's making him mad.

"Why...why do I have to do this?. Like you said Tori you're dead now and telling Darren the truth isn't going to change that." He says.

"Dia when I asked you to keep this secret I was being selfish." Tori walks in front of him. "It's been eating you alive everyday since then and you know it."

Dias head throbs so much it blurs his vision. Tori grabs his arms and shakes him.

"You have to tell him Dia. Free yourself of the lies and the manipulation that we spent years building before it kills you."

Tears burn Dias eyes. He bends down to his knees his legs no longer strong enough to carry him.

"What will he think of me Tori?. If I tell him the truth he's going to hate me." Dias words are barely heard amung his sobbing.

"If you keep lying you're never going to get better. This will forever be your life Dia. Just headaches, tears and lies." Tori wispers in his ear.

Dia watches his tears hit the tar road. Images of her bleeding hand, her dying eyes and the fear they held right up to the moment they glazed over plague his mind. Dia rises to his feet and continues his journey to the door. He knocks three times before Darren finally opens the door.

"Dia? What are you doing here?" He asks.

Darrens wearing grey sweatpants and  a shirt. His eyes are sleepy and seeing him like this...vulnerable and normal. Without any of the pain in his eyes or tge scars down his arms is almost enough to make Dia change his mind about what he says next.

Dia wipes his eyes and breathes deeply.

"I need to tell you something."

....................

Darren wraps a blanket around Dia and sits down next to him. Up till now Dia hadn't really noticed how cold it was. He pulls the blanket tighter around his shivering body and sighs. His tired from all the crying and the struggle of walking here. Dia can't believe how fucked his life has gotten.

"We've gotta stop meeting like this." Darren jokes before sitting down.

Dia can feel the warmth of his body through the blanket. He takes a deep breath.

"You said you wanted to tell ne something" Darren says softly sensing the fear in Dia actions. "What is it?"

Dia can't risk looking at him and losing courage. So instead he stares at a picture of Tori and her mom hung up on the wall.

"Tori and I were there the night your mom died." The words feel like lead in his mouth.

"W-what?" Darren says.

Dia shuts his eyes and forces the memory out of his head.

"We were having a sleepover at your house, Tori and I had spent the whole day in her room listening to music and watching movies."