China In Your Hand

September 1987

Trix and Liam had barely parted for the rest of the summer. Trix's dad was keeping a watchful eye on them but he seemed reassured by Liam's behaviour over the past few weeks. Trix's dad had helped Liam find a job in construction that definitely wasn't for him but it was money in the bank and he was grateful for that. Ever since the hammer incident Liam had become obsessed with music. Trix didn't know why or how it had happened but Liam seemed more driven and happier than he'd ever been so she wasn't complaining.

They often walked to Sifters at the weekend flicking through the record sleeves enveloping themselves in the smell of old paper. Then they would lie on his bedroom floor with a joint shared between them listening until everything else faded away.

"I want to sing."

Trix giggled as she rolled onto her side to look at Liam.

"What?"

Liam rolled onto his side and looked into her eyes evenly.

"In a band. I'm gonna sing."

Trix smiled tentatively.

"Can you even sing?"

Liam nodded.

"Sing for me right now."

Liam shrugged.

"What song?"

Trix deliberated.

"China In Your Hand."

Liam laughed.

"Fuck off."

Trix shrugged.

"If you're too scared to sing for me then how can you-"

Liam cleared his throat and began to sing. Just like that.

Trix sat up on her elbows as she listened to the beautifully angelic voice coming out of Liam Gallagher. Raw yet soft and definitely not flawless but what it lacked in perfect tone he gained in emotion.

Trix felt the hairs on her arm stand on end.

Liam stopped singing and looked at the ceiling shyly.

"Fucking hell. Look."

She showed Liam the goosebumps on her arm.

"Where you been hiding that voice?"

Liam shrugged with a rare shy smile.

"Dunno thought only weirdos like Noel played music instead of football."

Trix smiled.

"I think you can be whoever you want to be Liam. I really do."

Liam smiled at her.

"Thanks mate. What about you?"

"I start college next week."

Liam patted her arm warmly.

"You've got this. You'll smash it. You gonna get some smart boyfriend who reads books and forget all about me?"
He teased.

Trix grinned and shook her head.

"I won't forget you even when I'm married with 6 kids."

Liam gave her a shocked look.

"6?! Fucking hell. You'd better get started soon then. You serious?"

Trix shrugged.

"I dunno. I like having you as a brother. I think if I ever do the kid thing I'd want more than one. I hated being an only child till you came along."