Gasoline

A/N: ollo so author here I realize I kinda left out details from the last chapter so "Control" is a bit more updated now (yes it's after the Halsey song and so is this bc Halsey is amazing)

Sam's POV
I was half awake when Bucky carried me into my room. Not completely asleep but not awake either. Somewhere drifting in between, with everything in the real world sounding underwater.

I heard him close the door gently. For some reason, after I heard the soft click of the door, I couldn't sleep.

I just laid there for a while. If I took a deep enough breath and focused I could still smell the faint yet lingering vintage cloves. Bucky Barnes smelled like cloves. Like old slices in the back of some worn cabinet. The spice of cloves, some sweet vanilla, and yet some wisps of mint/cedar. Something in the cedar and vanilla made me think of the Magnolias back home. But another breath made me realize what I really thought of. He was like Winter. But the warm side of winter, like cuddling with loved ones under a blanket. Like old teas that were made personally. Teas that were strong and meant to be drank in the dead of the cold months. Old spices, winter nights, and tea made me think of Bucky Barnes.

Eventually I heard shouting. Something that sounded like Russian.

I whispered gently sitting up in my bed.

"J. A. R. V. I. S. is that Bucky's room?

"Yes Mr. Wilson. It appears he's in there with another man but the room functions have been disabled. I can't see nor hear anything."

"Wake up the others and tell them to meet me in the living area. I have a bad feeling about this."

"Right away Mr.Wilson."

I crept out of my room. Though muffled, I could hear screaming from his room.

Part of me wanted to rush in there. The other part knew it was too dangerous. The shouting suddenly stopped and shuffling around made me want to sprint away. What was going on in there?

Something tapped me on the shoulder and I spun around. Nat raised her hands as she pointed down the hall towards the living room.

We made our way as quietly as possible.

Wanda and Vision were waiting for us. I could see her dark eyes rimmed with red as if she was crying.

"Bucky. He's not ok. I think something bad happened. Sam, his mind, it's like static. I can't hear anything except pain and Russian words. We need to go now."

Vision spoke, gently putting his hands on her shoulder rubbing them comfortingly.

"It's ok Wanda. We need to teleport or something, we can't take the elevator because we don't know what's going on."

Nat's voice cut through everyone's whispers. "Yes we do. Somebody triggered Bucky. He's gone for right now until we break the programming. Right now we need to isolate him and keep him occupied. We don't know his targets. Nor do we know who the Handler is right now. The Widow Override is a one time last resort I can't use it again."

An idea popped into my head.

"J. A. R. V. I. S. Is there any way you can block off the hallways to our rooms? Nobody else is in there right?"

"I can't see in Mr.Barnes room but other than that no. Mr.Stark and Mr.Banner are downstairs in the lab. I'll block off the hallway now."

I thanked him quietly. A tearing sound broke from down the hallway. We had turned the kitchen light on to give us some light but the only light in the hallway was the moonbeams from the windows.

I looked down the hallway. The door had been ripped off it's hinges. There, where I was hoping would stand my crush and love, stood the Asset. His eyes weren't the rainy sapphires I'd grown to love and get lost in. No, these were the eyes of a cold winter's wind. The one that people got lost in. The chill as you lost all hope. Any hope of being found. This was deadly and dangerous, but even worse was the strong amounts of apathy in his eyes. He felt nothing. He was numb and cold. This was the Winter Soldier.

He had a mask on so I couldn't see the rest of his face. His new and shorter hair made him look even more of a soldier than he was. The jacket was done in a restricting way, The Asset's whole body was shaking from how tight it was.

He made a single step towards us. If he was sprinting it'd take him four strides to reach us, but he was walking.

This wasn't about immediate killing. No, this was the Hunter. This was The Asset.

This was the Winter Soldier. I repeated it in my head. Trying to convinced myself of the fact that this wasn't an act. This was real.

I watched in terror as he was now a few steps away. He snarled as something like pain rippled across his face.

He reached, jumping across the area that connected the living room and kitchen area to the hallways of rooms. Wanda waved her hand and I heard heard whirring to life.

Quickly, a huge metal wall slammed down. The Soldier slammed into it leaving a super-soldier sized dent in the wall.

"We need to move now," Vision eased all of us away from the wall. Continuous pounding told me The Asset was trying to get to us no matter the cost. He punched and kicked it as more and more dents littered the wall. "Wanda can you make a portal?"

She nodded. Her crimson magic spilled from her fingers. Ribbons of scarlet magic conjured to make a single floating circular portal.

Nat walked through confidently. Through the portal, I could see a sleep deprived Tony and a very confused Bruce.

I walked through. I was transfixed towards the door that was continuously being demolished. Bucky wasn't Bucky anymore. He was the Winter Soldier again, but how would we get him back?

"Mr.Wilson. We need to go now. Please come with us." I hadn't noticed but Vision had already walked through. Wanda seemed in pain as she tried to keep the portal open. I glanced again, seeing the metal start to tear, I walked through to the lab.

Tony immediately looked at us all and the most unexpected words came from the billionaire.

"Where's Steve?"