Good Old-Fasioned Lover Boy (part 2)

Bucky's POV

I had never seen somebody so transfixed.

Was the eyeliner too much?

I walked over to Wanda who put her hand up for a high-five, which was well deserved as I would've been a mess without her. I could kill people from miles away and catch knives mid-air but who knew a mechanical arm FAILED when it came to make-up.

Sam looked like he was about to faint. It was adorable, but ultimately gave me confidence. If I looked that good maybe I looked like me again. But I still had yet to figure that out myself, someone who wasn't quite the same 40's lady killer but I wasn't the Winter Soldier either.

"Doll? You in there?" My Brooklyn accent came back with a vengeance. I barely recognized my own voice which happened more than I'd like to admit. HYDRA had taught me many many languages and different dialects so I could adapt anywhere. The two that had stuck with me the most would always be my native Brooklyn speak and the Russian words I was forced to endure.

"Yeah yeah you ready to go?"

I nodded. I loved this outfit. Wanda knew the exact thing I thought of, an old outfit but she mad it look new. The red roses reminded me of romance. No matter how tough I was, I would always be a hopeful romantic, hoping for a fairytale ending I never got. The white pants and white jacket made me seem bright, so accustomed to dark colors it felt nice to look lighter.

I moved to put on my gloves as we walked to the elevator but Sam stopped me.

"You don't need to hide. I'm going on a date with you, not some disguise. Please?" His voice was confident yet had a pleading edge.

I nodded, throwing the gloves into the hallway as the elevator doors closed.

*time skip brought to you by Hermes delivery services* (still Bucky's POV)

We walked instead of driving. Apparently there was a small town not too far from the compound. New York never felt so different. I hadn't been back since the 40's and some things still looked the same. I knew this town, but I couldn't figure out why.

It was brighter now. Maybe I could ask Sam to take me to the city one day. When my PTSD was under control of course. Or better maybe.

Sam walked beside me as I turned to him:

"Sooo where are we going?"

"You'll see."

"I was promised coffee. A coffee date in fact. Don't make me be a detective bout this." I walked in front of him, nobody else was on the sidewalk so if I tripped it was all my fault.

"Darlin hold your horses and just walk with me. You'll see."

I fell into step beside him trying to hide my face.

Two words.

Southern Sam.

My brain was practically spinning. I never knew somebody could take a sweet southern drawl and make it so hot. If he said anything else with that drawl I swear I would probably have a heart attack.

We eventually came to a small cafe. The storefront was adorable with the cafe's name in beautiful painted letters.

"The Persnickety Dragon Cafe." I read the name aloud, a small green dragon with a little book and coffee cup was their logo.

Sam opened the door and I took a step inside. "They have breakfast too so get whatever you want-"

I was already scanning the menu and looking around the cafe. Half in paranoia and half in pure awe.