13 . to fill an empty belly

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
• TO FILL AN EMPTY BELLY •

-

Mikayla tried to hide her eavesdropping on the men of the house as they chatted at the kitchen table. Purposefully keeping the sink water tap as low as possible, she quietly scrubbed dishes, even going out of her way to crane her neck to hear better. Things were tense lately. After dinner, the men would chat quietly, and instead of playing games or reading they'd evacuate to the basement and stay down there. Mikayla didn't know what was down there. Maybe she didn't want to know. She had been nothing but perfect to the family and in turn they treated her kindly and took care of her. Horrors and stressors of the outside world were a thing of the past, life was peaceful. She didn't have to think.

"Mikayla? Pour me some more tea, will you?"

Rushing to grab the tea kettle, Mikayla emptied her thoughts. She was being noisy, and hoped Hugh hadn't noticed.

"Here you go," she said politely, filling Hughs and additionally Arthur's mugs. "Anything else? You guys okay?" she attempted to pry. Mikayla wouldn't dare push, Hugh still mildly terrified her after all, and any information wasn't worth a punishment dished out by him.

"No," Niko said, "go on upstairs, Momma will finish the kitchen." Mikayla grabbed his shoulder, seeking some reassurance from him, before begrudgingly returning the tea kettle and going upstairs. However, before she could reach the stairs, her stomach jumped, and vomit was pushing at the back of her throat.

She nearly cursed as she rushed back past the dining room and into the little half bathroom, falling to her knees and emptying her stomach.

"Woah there!" Hugh said as nimble hands grabbed her hair. They belonged to Eve, Mikayla recognized, thankful it was her and not her husband. "Are you sick? what have you eaten?" Hugh questioned.

"Nothing bad," Eve reassured, "or else we'd all be sick. It's something else."

"Something else?" Niko asked, coming to stand in the doorway of the bathroom. Mikayla was embarrassed, her cheeks were flush and she was sure there was still spit plastered over her chin and lips. Yet the men of the house were all staring down at her expectantly.

"I - have been thinking, I might be -" needing to use the bathroom more, vomiting, tender breasts, when was the last time she got her period? She hoped she wouldn't be punished if it turned out she was wrong. "I might be pregnant."

Hugh reacted first, breaking into a toothy grin. Arthur slapped Niko on the back, who in turn jumped, still staring at Mikayla. Who was still on her knees in the bathroom.

"Momma, can you get her water?"

She gulped down the water like a starved woman the moment it was handed to her, exhaling in relief as her throat ceased to burn. Niko watched her for a moment before pulling her to her feet and leading her upstairs.

-

Mikayla changed quickly and leapt into bed. She yawned and rubbed her eyes, skin prickling at the eyes on her.

"You won't stop staring at me, Niko," she said nervously, "have I done something?"

He smiled, "you did something good. You're carrying my baby."

"Yeah, looks like it."

He slid into bed beside her, hand coming to rest on her flat stomach. "I'm so proud of you, you've done everything you needed to. Thank you, Mikayla."

"Of course."

Was that pit at the bottom of her stomach excitement or dread?

There wasn't really any importance in which one it was though, wasn't there? Mikayla was trapped. She'd never leave.

Her and Niko were gonna have a baby together, in this house. They were her family now. Mikayla didn't have a choice.