06 . eve was weak

• CHAPTER SIX •
EVE WAS WEAK

-

This was a bad idea. She could feel it, but even as the rational part of her brain screamed, she still held the blade firmly in her hands, and stalked towards the living room. She couldn't stab them, could she? Eve and Rosemary had done nothing to her, but be bystanders, that is. It wasn't their fault they were brainwashed. Eve was long gone. Those men trusted her, so did she have a key? Mickey was going to find out.

-

"It's alright, sweetheart," Eve comforted as Rosemary mumbled something into the back of her hand. She was never coherent like this, but she wasn't disobedient, so it didn't call for punishment. Sweat dripped down Rosemary's temple, body doing uninvoluntary jerks every few moments. "Oh," Eve said, "I should get you some water, don't do anything." She didn't want to tie the other girl up. Again, that is.

Eve gasped when she came across the sight.

"Mikayla!"

"Yeah?"

The knife was brought down. And another apple was put on the plate. Eve placed a hand on her heart, stating at the little fruit platter Mickey prepared. "It's for Rosemary."

"You're such a good girl, Mikayla."

-

Rosemary was sleeping. Her breakdown kept her from doing chores, but both Eve and Mickey tried to stay upstairs. The door to Arthur's room was open and Mickey held her breath every time she passed it, in fear of what she'd see.

Scrubbing away at the bathtub of the upstairs bathroom, Mickey plotted. She'd almost done something stupid today, almost had a breakdown like Rosemary. The experience had shaken her, but she stood firm. 'Keep acting, they're happy with you.' Her body floated above all this, disconnected from reality. People had to be looking for her by now. Maybe she could just wait it out. Then she thought about Eve. Had she thought like this too, only to be brainwashed and never found?

Mickey blinked, staring at the tears dropping into the shower tiles. She buried her face in her hands, barely aware of the soap, and sobbed in the shower.

Was this her life?

No, it couldn't be. Mickey wasn't like Rosemary or Eve, she would break the cycle, not just for her, but for them. There was worry Eve was too far gone, but Rosemary had a chance. They both did. Life was waiting for them, and Mickey wasn't going to be left behind.

'How long had it been, two days, or a week?'

When they cut her, she realized how long she had been living in 'marital bliss' as Hugh called it. She didn't try to fight or escape. Wake up, eat, clean, eat, sleep. It was a repetitive cycle that she almost didn't realize the days were passing her bye.

"Shit, man," Mickey said quietly, wiping her tears and pushing herself to her feet. "I gotta get out of here."

"Is that so, Mikayla?" Eve stood in the bathroom doorway, a laundy basket in her hands and a somber look on her face. She looked disappointed.

"Fuck, Eve -"

"And swearing, goodness Mikayla. I thought you knew better."