11 . caught

CHAPTER ELEVEN
• CAUGHT •

-

Mikayla always thought women gave birth on their backs, but Rosemary hadn't moved from her position on all fours. Eve said it was the natural way, and easier for the baby to "fall" out, but Mikayla wasn't interested in finding out and stayed firmly at Rosemary's side.

"This is kinda stressful, and uh painful," Mikayla said as the other woman squeezed life out of her hand.

"Shut up," another shout of pain, "you don't know anything," the contractions were closing together.

Mikayla bit her lip raw as she pondered if both Rosemary and the baby would be healthy. She had lived in a modern world, if someone so much as stubbed their toe they were off to Patient First, and these people probably haven't even seen a doctor in generations. Did they know anything about childbirth? Did Eve know anything? The older woman's thrill had shattered as she looked down at Rosemary's vagina, hands trembling around the towel she was clutching for dear life.

The three woman gasped as the front door opened. Mikayla sprung into action abandoning the crying Rosemary who shouted "no!" as Eve encouraged her.

"It will die," was the last thing Mikayla heard as she practically threw herself down the stairs.

"Why isn't dinner ready?" Hugh asked as the young woman came to a stop.

"Arthur," she said, who pushed past his dad to look her in the eyes, "Rosemary is in labor."

The three men let out excited hollers, the older two scrambling up the stairs to Arthur's room.

Mikayla stumbled into Niko's open arms, "it's crazy in there."

"I bet," he said, rubbing her back, coercing Mikayla to sag into him, comforted by the touch.

"I hope they both make it," Mikayla said. Niko pulled her away from his chest so they could meet eye to eye.

"Hey now," he cupped her cheek gently, "they will, I promise. All of our babies and mothers survive. We know how to take care of you, I promise. We love you and Rosemary. I love you, Mikayla."

Mikayla smiled gently, reaching up to hold his cheek. "I love you too, Niko."

-

"He's here, Rosemary," Eve cried happily as the baby landed in her arms. With a snip, the umbilical cord was cut. Once the afterbirth was cleaned up, Rosemary was finally on her back and handed the child. Eve and Rosemary were right, it was a boy after all. The baby snuggled into her open blouse, relishing in the skin to skin contact with his mother, cries quieting as everyone looked down at his little face.

"He's ugly," Mikayla whispered before she could stop herself. Niko stifled a laugh.

"Man, he really is, isn't he? Don't repeat that, but yeah. Our son will look better."

Again, Mikayla's hand trailed down to her stomach, only to find Niko repeating the action. The two gazed upon Arthur, Rosemary, and their son. "One day that'll be us, Kayla."

She stopped resisting, having fallen into a net of safety, security, and love with this family. "Yeah," Mikayla responded tearfully, "it will be."

Hugh watched them from the corner of his eye, grinning.