09 . babies

CHAPTER NINE
• BABIES •

-

Mickey was conflicted. The memory of her assault still burned strongly in her mind, tearing away and destroying what seemed to be her basic functions. Niko was gentle with her. Let her sleep in, and when she woke up he ran her a bath. She stumbled awkwardly through the day, wincing with every step and shaking her head fiercely when her brain tried to push those past events to the forefront of her mind.

She tried to focus on other things. Focused so intently, she could count each tile of the old backsplash in the kitchen. There's little flowers on the edges of the cracks. It is beautiful, but worn down, how old is this house? 1800s? Maybe. Oh, and the table, there were little scratches in the table. All contributed to by Rosemary.

The woman's body was getting bigger, her child growing so much she had to waddle to get around. They didn't talk about it.

As a matter of fact, Mickey and Rosemary haven't really talked at all. It was a little upsetting. They were 'sisters' after all.

The woman were in the leaving room together. Mickey sweeping while Rosemary dusted the shelves. Could she talk to her? they were allowed to, surely, Rosemary just didn't speak much.

"Have you thought about baby names?" she asked. The other girl didn't even notice her. She was dusting what looked like a picture frame of a teenage Arthur on the shelf. Mickey asked again, but nothing.

Gently, Mickey tapped her arm, flinching when Rosemary swirled around, glaring her down, as she always did when they met eyes. Mickey held a hand up in surrender. "I'm sorry, I was just asking about the baby."

"What about him?" she snapped.

"How do you know it's a boy?" Mickey teased light heartedly. "Could be a girl."

Rosemary did not seem to like her jest. Dropping the feather duster, she pushed Mickey to the wall, pictures on the bookshelf rattling from the force.

"Shut up, Mikayla, it's a boy."

"I'm sorry, okay," she backed away from the woman. So much for being sisters, Rosemary was too deranged to build a bond with.

Rosemary crossed her arms, going stiff as a board as a voice broke their silence.

"Is everything okay, girls?" Eve asked, watching them curiously from the top of the steps.

"We were talking about baby names!" Mickey jumped, forcing herself to laugh a bit and grin as she picked the broom up. Eve broke out into a grin and rushed down the steps.

"I'm so excited for my grandson," she said as she joined the three in the living room. "my son wants to name him Arthur Jr, of course, but they still have time to think." Even she was convinced it was a boy, maybe it was mother's intuition. Who would know better than the mother?

Rosemary watched Mickey tentatively. She couldn't sell Rosemary out, she might get her in trouble, the guilt would be too great if Mickey allowed a pregnant woman to be harmed.

-

Mickey counted the pieces of fuzz on the carpet as Niko pressed kisses to her neck. Her stomach churned in discomfort, body begging her to jump away as he unbuttoned her shirt.

"We were talking about baby names today," she broke the silence. Falling for her distraction, Niko pulled away. "they want to name him Arthur."

"My brother tell you that?"

"Eve, actually."

He hummed a bit, fully sitting up now. "I think it's conceited, but it's good Rosemary's pregnant. I wouldn't name my kid after myself. We'll name our son something else," he paused, contemplating his words, "you need to get pregnant soon."

"What?" she cried, "why?"

Mickey jumped when he pinched her neck, "you shouldn't be questioning me," he said, but proceeded to answer anyway, "it's expected of us. Especially you. I don't want my dad to get mad or punish you for not getting pregnant."

Involuntarily, Mickey's heart warmed. Niko really was doing everything in her best interests, even while stuck in the horrific family cycle. She smiled at him.

Though it quickly vanished when he grabbed the waistband of her pants and pulled.

-

There were a lot of detail to Niko's face. Worry lines creased his forehead, a dimple was present on his left cheek, and there were a few acne scars all over his face. Even as he slept he frowned.

This man wanted to have a baby with her.

When Mickey couldn't stand to look at him anymore she the turned over to face the wall, but Niko still burned in her mind.

If she did have a baby, she hoped it wouldn't look like him.