05 . rosemary

• CHAPTER FIVE •
ROSEMARY

-

There was something about her. She was weird. Mickey didn't know how the average kidnap victim acted, sure, but Rosemary wasn't anything like Eve. Brainwashing wasn't an issue she suspected, but still Rosemary was nothing but submissive to those in the house. Perhaps she had the same plan as Mickey, but how long had Rosemary been pretending? Why hadn't she tried to escape? The most important question though was if Mickey could count her as an ally. She needed one, if she was gonna survive this.

"We still have some things we need to go over, but I really think this is gonna work out, Kayla," Niko said as he pulled his shirt over his head. Mickey nodded robotically, eyes looking down at the floor when his bare chest was in eye sight. Her breath caught in her throat as he grabbed her chin, tears pricked the corners of her eyes as he kissed her. Hands holding her face a little too tightly, daring her to resist, she didn't. Hands folded neatly in her lap, discreetly trying not to rip a hole in the fabric. It lasted too long, but eventually Niko pulled away.

She hurried to get dressed, thankful he had already left the room, she followed after, as she walked down the hallway, she came to another door. Arthur and Rosemary were inside, except, instead of getting dressed, Rosemary was laying on the floor. Mickey leaned forward, the door was only open a crack, she couldn't see much more. Was she hurt?

Mickey almost called out, when Rosemary's body was replaced with an eye. She jumped back as Arthur stared at her.

"Shouldn't you be downstairs?"

"Yes," she said, almost forcefully, "I was, I'm sorry, I was just wondering if Rosemary was ready, I wanted to talk to her," she defended.

"About what?"

"A recipe!" Mickey blurted, laughing nervously.

Arthur stared at her a moment before smiling, "you can ask her later. Go downstairs," he slammed the door shut.

-

Eve was happily humming away as she stirred a pot of oatmeal. Her grin even widened when she saw Mickey.

"Good morning!"

She felt eyes on her, and automatically greeted Eve back, rushing to her side. As if Eve would protect her.

"Kayla, as you settle in more, you will be helping make breakfast everyday. Why don't you cut up some strawberries? There's some blueberries you can set out, too."

With a nod, Mickey got to work. She could use a knife, could take it, without Rosemary's intervention. The strawberries waited patiently as she glared at the shiny blade, her reflection staring back at her, desperate eyes pleading she do something with it. But Hugh and Niko were at the table, and Hugh was watching her. She just knew it. Mickey turned over her shoulder, locking eyes with him, he smirked, daring her to use the knife for anything other than cutting fruit. Her breath stuttered as she turned back around and got to chopping.

"We expect breakfast to be ready, we shouldn't be waiting for you and Mikayla to come down," Hugh said loudly. Eve bit her lip nervously. "The women should have it done. Mikayla doesn't need to sleep in, she should be helping Eve in the kitchen."