Chapter 22: Millicent

Start from the beginning

Still, as the Tarnished cleans away the area and then slowly brings the prosthetic up to Millicent's shoulder, her breath hitches. Tis a perfect fit. It goes against her empty shoulder like it was made to take the place of her excised appendage. As if it was designed... nay, destined for her. A slow breath leaves Millicent's lips, as she watches through hooded eyes while the Tarnished sockets the arm in like he's done this a million times.

Once again, the weight of her destined path bears down upon her. She is forced to acknowledge that this right here... this is fate. Not only has her savior come through for her again, but in such a specific way that only further serves to show that she's on the right path. Her goal of Malenia and the Haligtree is made all the clearer with this new prosthesis.

"I think... I think, if the arm serves well enough, it might be possible for me to wield a sword again."

She hesitates briefly, gauging the Tarnished's response. He glances to her, and seeing her watching, grins brightly and nods. Millicent blushes and ducks her head, reaching up with her organic hand to tuck a stray lock of hair back behind her ear.

"Perhaps... perhaps then, I might aid you in battle."

The arm is properly connected a moment later, and Millicent is shocked by its weight. It feels just like a normal flesh and blood arm. Why, with some practice and skill, she fully believes she'll be able to use it just as proficiently as her previous arm. Perhaps not as good as Malenia, that would seem quite unlikely... but as good, if not better than Millicent had once been, before the Scarlet Rot took her.

The Tarnished gives her a comforting smile and another nod, even as he pats her new golden shoulder, making sure its all properly locked in and not going to fall off the moment he turns away. Before she can second guess herself, Millicent leans in and boldly steals another kiss. This time, she's not at all afraid of rejection, but she doesn't let it linger. Rather, once she's snuck the kiss, she abruptly stands up, stepping away so he can't draw her in and further distract her.

"... Thank you for this. I promise, I will put your gift to great use. I must... I must train, but soon enough, I will stand by your side in battle... i-if you will have me."

Rising from the rock, her silent hero, her kind protector, nods solemnly, before touching his fingers to his just-kissed lips and letting them drift in her direction. Millicent blushes, but also smiles at him.

"We shall see each other again soon enough. I know it."

-x-X-x-

A few days later, she manages to track him down to Windmill Village, but only after he's already slain the Godskin Apostle occupying the area. It's a little irritating... but there's nothing for it. The last several days, Millicent has done nothing but train. Finding a sword to wield with her new arm had been the first order of business, but once she'd had it, she'd gone to work testing herself against the more diabolical denizens of the Altus Plateau.

It was embarrassing, but she'd nearly died half a dozen times the first day, and always to silly, small mistakes that she should never have made. It's not as easy as she'd hoped it would be, in the end. While the prosthesis IS a masterwork in craftsmanship... it's only as good as it's wielder. It has the potential to be as viable and capable as a regular sword arm... but only if she puts the work and effort in to make it so.

The second day, Millicent did a lot better. By the third, she was ready to seek the Tarnished out. It's not easy though. Even knowing he's somewhere in the Plateau doesn't help. In the end, she finds success in following the path of wanton destruction. It takes her another whole day, but eventually she arrives at Dominula, Windmill Village.