Thirty-Five

They entered the dining room, and Auden's mother had laid out a feast for Jimin's arrival. Spaghetti and meatballs, with warm steaming breadsticks, colorful salads and fruits, fancy expensive wine was already poured into crystal glasses—ready to make everyone tipsy.

Her father was standing in the kitchen already sipping at his wine. He wore a grey suit, his salt and pepper hair slicked back from his face and Auden could see faint wrinkles on his forehead. He already looked older than the last time she saw him, and she felt her heart sink. He must've just come from work. Her father owned a software company and rarely did he take a break. Growing up he always seemed to be at the office.

When her father spotted Jimin and her enter the dining room he set the wine glass down and hurried over to hug her.

"Auden, honey. We've missed you so much."

"Missed you too, Dad," Auden said, unable to breathe until he freed her from his bone-crushing hug. Then he looked to Jimin by her side.

"And you must be the famous K-pop star, I'm Dan. It's nice to meet you," he said, hurrying to reach out and shake Jimin's hand.

"It's nice to meet you too, Mr. Tremaine," Jimin quickly responded, bowing at the waist.

So her mom did look up Jimin. Of course she would.

Auden looked at her mother knowingly, narrowing her eyes, but her mom just grinned wider at Auden.

"Auden didn't tell us you were a famous pop star. Honey, why didn't you tell us?" her mother asked, her words sickly sweet.

"She's currently working for the same company. So she had to keep things on the lay low for privacy reasons," Jimin explained. "It's how we met actually. She helped me write my recent album."

Her mother's eyes widened. "Oh I see. I had no idea Auden was working with such a prestigious company."

"Sit, sit. We have lots to catch up on," her father said eagerly. And Auden's stomach twisted into knots. She hated talking about work with her parents. She only hoped somehow the subject would change and she could simply float through dinner without any condescending comments.

***

    They'd made it all the way through the salad, bread rolls, spaghetti, and two cups of wine before the small talk ran dry. Her mother peppered Jimin with questions about his life as an idol, his upbringing in Korea and upcoming projects with the band. Then Jimin asked her parents questions about their lives, and Auden as a child. It was pretty embarrassing some of the things her mother told him. But she endured it because she figured it was normal to have her parents embarrass her with the first boyfriend she ever brought home. It was better than her mother yelling at her for choosing the wrong career.

But eventually the lighter topics were all used up and Auden had to bring up the reason they were in South Carolina, apart from simply visiting.

"So did you two decide to visit because Auden missed us?" her father pressed.

"Of course I missed you," Auden said, guilt consuming her.

"And I, of course wanted to meet Auden's parents," Jimin said, charming them all yet again with a handsome smile. "But we did come to speak to you both about something else."

"Are you asking for my daughter's hand I marriage?" her father blurted and Auden choked on her breadstick. It took Jimin patting her on the back a few times for her to breath normally again.

"No Dad, we are not getting married!" Auden hurried to say, eyes wide with shock that her father would even say something like that. Jimin didn't look the least bit embarrassed by the assumption though.