Chapter 21: Tanith

Start from the beginning

"Brave Tarnished, welcome to Volcano Manor. I am Tanith, the proprietress of this house."

Cocking her head to the side, she lets the silence hang for half a moment before continuing on.

"Rya spoke well of you. 'A warrior of promise', I believe she said."

A stronger prospect, perhaps, then their other new recruit. Diallos Hoslow had seemed somewhat promising, when news of his desire for revenge had first reached their ears. Truly, the death of that servant girl Lanya was... a regrettable mishap. Tanith still wasn't entirely sure how it came about, or what part the Volcano Manor had even played in her death, and she hadn't actually gone searching for answers either. It didn't really matter.

But Diallos Hoslow had shown some backbone in his initial pursuit of them... and so she'd had an invitation sent to him, to see if he would be of any use. She'd half-expected Bernahl to need to smack him around a few times when he initially arrived, but he'd come almost... pre-beaten into submission, with his tail between his legs. He'd joined up with them in spite of his servant's death... but since then, his greatest contribution to Volcano Manor had been what knowledge he could provide about this Tarnished before her now.

Disappointing, to say the least. Though, as the newcomer stands before her, silent as the grave, Tanith keeps expecting him to speak up, to list his accolades and demand respect befitting his achievements. After all, he's done things that no other Tarnished has done in centuries!

Ah, but Rya had said he was quiet, hadn't she? And the others... yes, all of them had reported the same thing, that this Tarnished was the silent sort who let his actions speak for him. Tanith was not unused to this sort of man. Her loyal Crucible Knight was one such creature, after all. Even now, she had never heard his voice. Was this Tarnished the same? Did he... never speak up? Not even on his own behalf?

Tanith can't help the laugh that bubbles up from her lips as she shakes her head.

"Aren't you a precocious one? We rarely receive visitors to the Volcano Manor who are... quite so humble. Fascinating. Still, I assume you would not accept dear Rya's invitation without being prepared to make a commitment, yes?"

Leaning forward a tad, Tanith smiles thinly behind her mask.

"Will you join us here, against the rising tide? Why accept the burden of their grace? Why be fooled by the dogmatic ramblings of the Fingers? Rise with us, against the Erdtree."

Tis the moment of truth, she supposes. As silence hangs in the air, following her words, her Knight once more tightens his grip on his greatsword beside her. This time, Tanith does not stop him from doing so. She will not begrudge him his preparations. After all, there is every possibility that this Tarnished has... ulterior motives.

It did not quite seem possible, but at the same time, there was every likelihood that, given what she'd already heard, this Tarnished was here for Lord Rykard. It would be ridiculous, of course. The difference between Praetor Rykard and the others the Tarnished had slain was immeasurable. Certainly, General Radahn had been her Lord's brother, but by all accounts, he was immensely damaged by the Scarlet Rot Malenia, Blade of Miquella, had inflicted upon him. In comparison, Lord Rykard was stronger than ever, for all that those of lesser minds declared his strength blasphemy.

No, she didn't think this Tarnished was quite so foolish as to attack the denizens of Volcano Manor in their place of power in search for a shot at Lord Rykard. If he were here for her Lord, he would play it safe and keep his cards close to his chest. Tanith's thinking is confirmed when the Tarnished nods and bows his head a moment later, saluting with a hand over his chest in silent agreement.