Chapter Eight: Vulnerability

It was quite an adjustment to settle down in the Tsukasa empire, but to be fair, everything was crazy; the situation at hand being a whole war in a stone world. Who in the world from the 21st century would be able to approach such a crazy transition? Apparently these barbarous primitives, you thought half jokingly, but it was all thanks to them that you were able to make it this far. You weren't one to kill a living animal or being, ironically said for someone who was masterful in martial arts. But still, it made you truly appreciate how much you really leaned on to people, despite believing that you were going to be independent the whole time in your previous life. It's insane.

But here you are, leaning against the tree; Ukyo perched on top of a tree branch, surveying the area in case of any intruders. You let out a deep sigh of defeat after multiple failed attempts of trying to get up to such heights. You were flabbergasted at how Ukyo was able to get up there with ease, but for the benefit he was in the military at some point so it still made sense. But still, you couldn't believe your eyes and that slight grin Ukyo made as if saying 'aw, the renowned martial artist can't get up.' He was getting subtly bold. You pouted.

To your thankfulness, at least you weren't assigned to cutting down trees or hunting, you would have submitted to physiological defeat and passed out.

"I don't wanna sit around here all day. Why are you able to be so patient?" You groaned, stretching your limbs out. You gave out a deep yawn, eyes drooping slowly.

"It's my job, besides, weren't you rejecting the other jobs and complaining after a minute of them?" Ukyo questioned, shuffling slightly on the branch above you.

"True, but still..." You sighed heavily.

"Still? Is there something else you'd rather do?"

"I guess, but I wouldn't say it would be really beneficial at all if you were to think about Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. I mean, survival comes first so you know, food, shelter, water, and more."

"Okay, I don't know where you are going at this point. You have to be direct with me (name)."

"It's pretty embarrassing to admit." You twiddled with your fingers and after taking a deep breath continued speaking. "I want to perform on the violin like I have always done in my previous life. I just felt like everything had been cut short, I was at the peak of my career and education but then all of these events followed out one by one and I just... I don't know. A whole piece of me was missing, not only that but I felt like I lost a part of my parents. It's all my fault, I don't know why I am still alive. Oh my god, sorry for rambling I didn't mean to overshare or anything, I just got frustrated and–"

You were hyperventilating, the deeper the rant went on the heavier your breaths became. The world was spinning and you began to feel trickles of liquid slide down your cheeks. Tears.

You felt a small thud beside you and an arm extending toward your shoulder, pulling you closer to embrace you in a comforting hug.

"Don't apologize. I'm here and you're here, that is all that matters. It's okay, I'm here to listen, let it all out if that makes you feel better." The former sonar man consoled, rubbing your shoulder slightly.

That comfort opened up the door to a whole flood of fresh tears. You pressed your hands against your already reddening face from the sobs. Your heart felt wretched, that psychological pain filling up your thoughts.

Ukyo was there to silently comfort you; rubbing your back every so often and humming.

His hums were so soothing like the warmth of the sunlight shining upon your face or the sounds of the ocean tides hitting the rocks. It was as if it was pulling you from those gloomy thoughts towards a brighter and safer space. The sobs slowly died down, and you were able to relax, the muscles strained less and you were able to feel a bit more loose.