Chapter Sixteen- Searching

Start from the beginning

Mara only grins in reply.

March 17, 2016. 19:16

S.T.A.R. Labs.

~~Willow~~

I fidgeted impatiently, waiting for it to be done. M'gann was my friend, but I was impatient. And ever since that night where we'd discovered my memories, I was a little more touchy about people reading my mind and invading my personal life.

Finally, Miss Martian stood up, and Nightingale and I both sat up on our cots.

"What did you find?" Nightwing asked.

She sighed, "Not much. Based off of what I found in Wildfire's memory, I compared it to a few of Nightingale's memories to see what she remembered. According to Wildfire's memories, the scientists at Cadmus called our mysterious gem The Ever Stone. And according to Nightingale, that same gem was used to power the cannon at Jump City, the one that gave her powers."

Why didn't you tell me? I mentally growled at Pyro.

I knew you'd find that out yourself, Ember. Pyro dismissed. Scarlett sighed irritably

Nightwing slammed his fist on the table and cursed quietly, making all of us jump.

"So if Willow remembers it, and it gave me my powers, then maybe it gave Willow her powers too," Nightingale suggested meekly.

"Yeah, maybe," Nightwing said distractedly.

Emma glared at her brother, "I know that look," she warned.

"What look?" Rick asked innocently.

"You're blaming yourself. Woman up." She snapped.

I rolled my eyes, "Say, how did you find out about the gem?" I asked Nightwing.

"What do you mean?" He asked, logging what we had discovered into his wrist computer.

"What causes you to just now come up with a photo of a gem we haven't had anything to with for five years?"

"I was looking through Batman's files," He said quickly, "He's been doing some research on Dragonfire/Nightingale's powers ever since she got them."

I raised my eyebrow at Emma, but she just shrugged. Though she, M'gann, and I all knew he was hiding something.

The next sentence from Emma prevented us from pressing the matter, "So what do we do about this gem? If it possibly gave me and Wildfire our powers, then there is the second possibility that the Light will use it to raise an army of elementally-powered super-humans."

Us three girls all looked to Nightwing. He was always the one with the plan.

He knew what we were thinking, "I'll work on it. For now, we need to train our new recruits. Bass Beetle is raw and untrained, and for some reason there's a bit of tension between her and Blur. Not to mention that Impulse is just like another Wally." He grinned as we laughed, none of us could help it.

M'gann was laughing so hard for the first time in such a long time, that she almost toppled over and had to lean on Emma for support.

"Yeah, I've kept you guys too long." Nightwing rubbed the back of his head, embarrassed. "Go get some sleep, I'll see you in the morning. We've all got a big mission tomorrow!"

----

"Ember!"

I was woken up by Scarlett's screams. Well, not woken up fully, but awakened in sort of dream state.

"What is it?" I cried. I searched the burning flames for her purple eyes that matched mine, but the only thing I found was Pyro's cackling.

"What have you done to her, Pyro?" I snarled, creating a Wolf out of the flames for back-up.

"Oh dearie me!" Pyro exclaimed. "Which one, which one? Water, air, fire, all gone!"

Her grinning face appeared in the flames in front of me, reminiscent of the Joker's

"Which one?" She repeated. "Which one will be all gone?"

"Stop it with the rhymes, Pyro!" I screamed. I made a sword of fire in my hand, and sliced through her face. "You aren't proving anything except that you're terrible at couplets!"

Pyro's form, made completely of fire, appeared in the air above me.

"Well, there goes my fun and games," she lamented. "Well, I guess since you don't want to figure it out yourself, I'll just tell you.

"One of your team members is going to die. Good luck guessing which one."

I awoke in cold sweat.