Vanessa began to feel uncomfortable with her name being involved in this, even though the idea was entirely Rebecca's.

And Cole's reaction was entirely expected. "You were kidnapped only a few days ago. It's a miracle you're alive. There's no sign of the bastard. And you're talking about moving out? No! You're not going anywhere, and that's final!"

"Good," Rebecca said, disgruntled. "But if I can't live with Vanessa in our place, she will live here!"

A few more seconds of silence. This was unexpected for everyone.

But it was something that would be beneficial for Vanessa. Even if she had planned it that way, things would never have gone so well.

"So?" Rebecca asked Cole. "You are not saying anything. I'll take it as a yes." Then she turned to Vanessa. "What do you think, Nessa?"

Vanessa had to play it tactfully. "I don't know, Becks. Maybe you should discuss it in private with your family first."

"I don't think there's anything to discuss. Cole agreed," Rebecca said. After that, she turned to Jackson. "Jacks?"

"It will be a great pleasure for me."

"Mom?" Rebecca asked her mother as well.

"There are enough rooms in the house," Kristen replied to her daughter with a smile on her face, then turned to Vanessa. "You are welcome in our house, dear!"

"So, it's decided!" Rebecca clapped her hands.

"Full house, more fun!" Jackson exclaimed, but Cole interrupted him quickly.

"When is your flight?"

"Tomorrow. At 6 a.m.," Jackson annoyingly replied to his brother.

"Oh, mine is at 6:30," Kristen added.

"You are leaving so soon?" Cole and Rebecca asked their mother in unison.

"I have to. Today's trip was not planned, and I have some business to finish. But I'll be back soon, my dears. And I think this time will be for a long time. Your father and I dreamed of living in Paris in our old ages..." Kristen closed her eyes while talking, although this couldn't stop the tears that came out of her eyes. "And to have our grandchildren there for the whole summers... To show them the old continent..." She opened her eyes and ran her fingers over the wet marks on her cheeks. "But your father is gone. I still don't have grandchildren. And to be so far away from my children is not any better than the depression I had here."

Jackson put his hand on his mother's. No one said anything. The pain from Kristen's words screamed. It burned. And hurt. Everyone could feel it.

And everyone in this house, including Vanessa—even Vanessa, perhaps most of all—had experienced it for themselves.

Vanessa looked at Cole. She was wondering if his eyes would say anything at this tense moment. But he turned his head the second her gaze caught his. It was unlikely that this man would ever allow himself to show a drop of vulnerability.

"Okay. I'll drive you both to the airport before work," he said to his mother and brother.

"Thank you, son."

"When are you coming back, Jacks?" Rebecca asked Jackson.

The situation began to lighten slightly.

"In a couple of days," Jackson answered. "I'll pack my stuff and set a goodbye party."

"Of course, you'll do!" Rebecca said, giggling.

"Rebecca, honey." Kristen turned to her daughter. "After everything that happened, I was waiting for the right moment to tell you—"