Chapter 28

Anna glanced at the clock on the wall of her room and sighed, looking down at her book. Xander had not come after her for their training yet. He was exactly 42 minutes and 30 seconds late compared to yesterday. They had no specific time for their training and she knew how much he was busy with work.

But still, in her heart she was nervous. Could it be because of her confession last night? Maybe he hated her now. Maybe he was thinking about her as a child. But he didn't seem repulsed last night when he left her.

She groaned in frustration and hide her face in her book, tired of those thoughts that were eating her away all day. Last night it was perfect to talk about her feelings with him, but now she was regretting her decision. 

Her head snapped up and her eyes widened when she heard a knock on her door and her heart began her crazy frenzy. She quickly ran a hand through her hair and sat straighter, trying to look normal and casual. She then cleared her throat and spoke loudly. "Come in."

Her heart fluttered when the door opened and Xander walked in. 

"Hi." she said trying to hide her smile.

"Hey!" he said and smiled. "Are you up for another training?"

"Yup! If you are not tired." she answered and closed her book and stood up. 

"Meet me in the gym then." said Xander and closed the door behind him.

Anna quickly threw her book on her bed and snatched the clothes she had hidden under her duvet and changed into them. She then paced her room for five minutes in order to not show so eager and then ran out of her room.

She closed the door of the gym and looked around confused when she didn't see Xander.

"Xander?" she called and took a few steps in.

"Over here." Xander's voice came from the storage room. 

Anna walked there and as she reached the door and looked inside she gasped immediately and put a hand on her mouth.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" The twins' screams filled the dark storage room that was lit up with the light of candles on top of a birthday cake.

The storage room was fairly big and someone had taken everything out of it, cleaned it, and put a small short table in the middle with a few pillows on the ground beside it. The wall behind it was designed with birthday paper chains and two balloons.

She looked at Xander who had stood behind the twins and had a proud smile on his face while clapping. Anna laughed and a few tears rolled down her face as Sofia and Shawn ran to her and hugged her legs tightly. She knelt and hugged the twins but her eyes were glued to Xander's all the time.

"Happy birthday, Anna." said Xander when Anna stood up. He scratched the back of his neck and looked around. "Sorry, it's not much. I wanted to surprise you and keep my promise to not tell anyone. And well, these two balls of energy somehow caught me sneaking the cake inside and becoming part of the plan."

"Xander!" choked Anna and looked around. "I really don't know what to say. This is perfect. Thank you."

"Come one. Below your candles." squealed Sofia and grabbed one of Anna's hands and dragged her near the table. Anna sat down on one of the pillows and Xander sat beside her and the twins made themselves comfortable on each of their laps.

"Make a wish first." said Shawn excitedly.

Anna closed her eyes and wished for great days when Santiago and his threatening shadow weren't in her life, when Maria was happily living with Ben and suddenly a picture formed before her eyes. She was in a meadow, running between long grass while laughing from deep in her heart. She was in a summer dress and had a hat on her head and was dragging someone behind her. And it was the boy who had sat beside her on the pillows.