Chapter 1

(Elora bove)

For as long as the supernatural has existed, the two species have been fighting each other endlessly. They are the night crawlers and the moon shifters, or as the humans call them in their stories, the vampires and the were wolves. At first, the wolves were stronger and they ruled the realm, but as those mutts began mating with humans, the blood line thinned and weaker wolves started being born. Good for us. And we had enough common sense to stay far away from those unworthy humans. Incase u haven't guessed already, I'm a vampire. And not just any vampire, I'm their  princess.

My father is the king and I am the jewel of his crown. Since vampires don't die of old age, we hardly procreate to maintain the balance of nature. No, we don't do that out of the goodness of our hearts, its a consequence, not a choice. If we were able to procreate as efficiently as those worthless humans or mutts, we'd be ruling over both the realms, not just the supernatural

"Your highness, forgive me." a fae bows down next to me as I admired my reflection in a gold framed mirror "But the king requests your presence in the ring"

My violet eyes gleamed at the mention of that place.

I collected my red dress and draped my wolf skin cloak over my left shoulder. I turned through several corridors as servants stopped by to bow to me.

Once outside, the bright sun light blinded me for a second before I saw my father up on the high podium. He was surrounded by vampire royalty and his silver hair gleamed in the sun. he laughed at something and I caught a hint of his fangs before they disappeared behind his lips

"Father." I acknowledged him and stood next to him.

"Ah my diamond!" He exclaimed as he bent down to place a kiss on my forehead "today is a good day." he commented lightly as his eyes twinkled in humor.

 "The good general has finally captured the last of the wolf royalty!" Next to him, general Nazu puffed out his chest looking like a proud chicken and I resisted the urge to laugh.

" Anything for the crown my king," he bowed to my father

 " And for our next queen." He eyed me suggestively and I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at him.

Nazu and I grew up together, he wasn't even old but my father still made him a general because he was a pure blood vampire with royalty in his blood.

 "That is good news father, but from what I heard, the capture wasn't that easy and we lost quiet a few vampires."

"Ah yes, it seems our kind has forgotten the strength of a pure blood wolf, we haven't had one for many years, it was merely the element of surprise that caught us off guard." My father said as he rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

"I have been hearing stories father, we mustn't delay it further" I whispered urgently in his ear

 "This one is different, we cant let it breath any longer!"

My father nodded at me with a solemn look in his eyes. To him, my word was the law. Suddenly, the doors at the other end of the ring opened and a couple of vampires spilled in.

They were dragging with them a man bounded by hundred pieces of rope drenched in a foul smelling liquid. I scrunched my nose.

 "Wolfsbane" Nazu muttered as he noticed my distaste. 

I knew what wolfsbane was, it was deadly to wolves. This is we have been using to hunt them down for many many centuries. What I don't understand is how this particular wolf man seemed almost immune to it. Despite being practically bathed in it, he was still strong enough to resist the vampires. I felt the hair at the back of my neck rise as an uneasy feeling settled in my stomach.

 The vampires grunted as they struggled to drag him to us but the wolf growled every few steps and shook his body, probably to shake off the wolfsbane  drenched ropes. His growl was deep and animalistic, and it sent a wave of fear and something else within me that I couldn't exactly identify.

As the vampires dragged him nearer, I started to feel his growls deep within my bones, and my whole body started to shake.

"Don't be scared princess." Nazu said as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer.

Suddenly, there was a gust of wind and the wolf man stopped fighting.  He stopped moving altogether and  his black hair whipped in the wind as he turned his head frantically from side to side as though he was searching for something. The vampires around him tried their hardest to pull on his ropes but he didn't budge an inch as he closed his eyes and inhaled deeply

Suddenly, he opened his eyes and stared straight at me.  Honestly, I don't remember much of what happened next as everything seemed to be happening in slow-motion and super fast at the same time. I think I saw his pupils dilating, his handsome face relaxing into an almost smile, his jugular pulsing erratically against his neck, and then at a speed surprising for a man with his frame, he grabbed the ropes and  jumped towards where we stood at the podium

The vampires around him launched at him but he dodged them with incredible accuracy. One moment he was flying towards us , the next moment I was

looking in his dark eyes unable to look away. All I could hear was the pounding of his heart, a warm scent of rain wood and pine mixed with wolfsbane and his large body radiating heat next to mine. Suddenly, I felt a twinge of pain in my neck and a dozen men were upon us trying to pull him away. I touched my neck was was shocked to see blood. The guards were holding his arm and dragging him away but I saw a smirk on his face as he licked my blood from his lips with his tongue.

"Elora! Elora are you ok?' my father grabbed me by the shoulders and shook me as he peered into my eyes, fear etched on his face.

I couldn't form any words to reassure him so I just stared back, feeling utterly drained all of a sudden, exhaustion creeping into my whole being.

"What have you done to her you filthy mutt." my father barked at him as a dozen vampires held him down on his knees in front of us

"I marked her" he said without a hint of fear in deep husky voice that sent shivers down my whole body. He looked at me once again and I felt the air leave my lungs.

"What do u mean marked her" my father bellowed incredibly " She is a vampire, not some human for you to law claim on! "

Father was nearly hysterical, I've never seen him so livid. He unsheathed his sliver dagger 

"No one touches what is mine!" he yelled as he plunged it into the wolf man's stomach.

Pain like I'd never known before clawed at my stomach as my insides began to burn and churn. The last thing I remember before I passed out were a pair of calloused warm hands reaching forward to grab me before I hit the floor.