SEVEN

Do comment

It was dinner time finally.

Earlier, when her parents were toasting a glass of juice with Ayman's boss. She had used the distraction to run up to her room and draw. Her solitude hadn't lasted too long, as her mother called her for dinner not even half an hour later. Somehow, even the aroma of pasta didn't tempt her enough to enjoy her current situation.

"So, Meenah," Ayman injected after a short pause from the earlier conversation,"How is school going? Still getting the good grades?"

Nuwaira answered."She's doing fantastic, aren't you? Top of your class."

Meenah nodded dubiously,"You just said it mother." With her fork she played with astray noodle, watching as it sprang across her plate like a grasshopper."Fantastic..."

This was so boring. All she wanted to do was go up into her room and draw or read.

As the minutes rolled by, she was getting more annoyed that her parents insisted on calling Ayman's boss 'Mr. Fawaz' instead of his first name. But the again, it wasn't as if the man was giving them any indication to call him with his first name. Actually, for being so arrogant, Fawaz wasn't saying much at all. She thought he'd be blowing a lot of hot air.

"Still planning on becoming a doctor?" Ayman asked interestedly.

"Of course she is..."

Meenah remained impassive, more amused than angry. Her parents knew nothing about her despite her endless attempts of explaining herself. They didn't realize that she'd rather be a poor and starving housewife or artist than a doctor.

"Did you want to become a doctor, Ameenah?"

The soft, music voice startled her out of her hazy daydream. She slowly raised her eyes across the table at Mr. Fawaz. The man sipped at his juice, his ruby ring on his finger flashing as he stared at her.

"It's nothing but the-"

"I'm sorry, Mrs Zayn," Fawaz interrupted silkily, his dark eyes narrowing slightly on Nuwaira,"But I was addressing her." There was an awkward silence and Meenah couldn't help but grin. Those piercing eyes turned back to her and an attentive gleam shone."Let me repeat myself, Ameenah." He rolled her name off his tongue. She repressed a flush at the intensity."Are you interested in a career as a doctor?"

Meenah tore her eyes away from him, giving a shy glance to her stern and expecting father. She looked back down at her empty plate."Of course, nothing but the best."

Fawaz gave a bored 'hmm' in response and pushed his almost full plate away."Mind if I have something else?" It wasn't a question, more of a jaded statement.

Nuwaira quickly obliged."We don't mind, Mr. Fawaz."

Meenah clenched her jaw hard. Glancing up, she watched the man dig through his richly-sewn jacket, probably Italian, fishing a phone out.'I can't stand this disrespect and audacity' Meenah thought.

"Actually, I mind." Meenah said boldly, ignoring her family's look of surprise and disapproval. Black eyes lazily looked up at her."I supposed to go for grocery shopping but I was busy, so we have nothing to offer except cereal."

That was a lie, but he didn't need to know that.

Nuwaira shifted in her seat and flashed the man a sheepish smile."No, Mr. Fawaz, of course you can-"

"If it bothers you, Ameenah, I'll refrain."

Beside her, Ayman shifted uncomfortably. Everyone acted as if they had to fall to the man's feet and lick the dirt of his polished and expensive shoes.

"I heard you were a fast runner. You're in track and field, isn't that right?"

This time, Nuwaira didn't interrupt and answer for her.

Meenah lifted her chin."Yeah, practice is starting next week. And our first track meet will be in two weeks." She paused, admittedly uncomfortable with his stare."So, what exactly do you do at this job of yours? My brother doesn't tell me much about it."

Fawaz grinned, twirling the stem of his glass with long fingers."It's a family-owned business. I inherited it from my father after he stepped down. It's just mainly office work, business and laws. And beautiful girls."

Meenah remained silent, wondering where that description came from.

"You know," Fawaz started with a murmur,"I'd love to have you work for me."

She perked up, tossing a look at a silent Ayman who handed something to his boss before refocussing on the man with an unimpressed stare as he handed her a gift."Thanks Mr. Fawaz for the gift. And the offer sounds tempting, but I think I'd rather be a doctor." And as much as she hated the thought of being a doctor, she hated the thought of working for him even more.

"Call me Muneer, cute Meenah."

Her cheeks flushed without her permission. Cute Meenah.

That man was a bastard."And you can call me Ameenah, just Ameenah," she hinted."Or Miss Zayn."

He chuckled the first time that night and she wondered what was so funny

~

"Your little sister is an enigma, Zayn."

Ayman clutched the steering wheel as he glanced in the rearview mirror at his boss. Two bodyguards, who had stayed around the Zayn's premises during the dinner, were now sitting on either side of the boss. His phone was in his hands and it casted a deep glow across this features.

"I apologise for my sister's lack of respect, boss."

"She was a spitfire, wasn't she?" His boss' tone wasn't angry, more amused than anything."I'd like to get to know her better, Zayn."

"With all due respect boss, I would do anything for you and support any and all your business decisions." Ayman hesitated as he frowned at the road."But I would ask you to leave my sister alone. She's far to naïve for this lifestyle."

There was a scoffing sound in the backseat. Ayman didn't know if it was his boss or a bodyguard who made the sound.

Muneer's Fawaz had a decent relationship with both his parents and he had four siblings. But he was the oldest, and therefore, the chosen child to take on the business after his father left. Being the son of Mujaheed Fawaz, a great business man, Muneer was watched constantly.  He treated his girlfriends decently, if not a bit coldly.

Muneer preferred dark-haired and dark-eyed women. As for height wise, Muneer always preferred them very tall.

Meenah couldn't have been more dissimilar from Muneer's preferred type.

Meenah becoming lovers with Muneer was Ayman's concern.

He was afraid of the environment his sister would get into if Muneer decided to make his interest in Meenah public. Moreover, Mujaheed Fawaz wanted Muneer to choose a significant other, and that deadline was fast approaching. Muneer would need to choose a partner who would stand by his side and conduct business for the Fawaz Family.

Meenah wasn't made for this type of life. Muneer's father would not approve.

"I think you and your parents underestimate her." Mr. Fawaz tone turned thoughtful."When is the first track meet?"

"Sir, please she's naïve to the type of life we-"

"I'm not going to tell her anything until she's ready. Really, Zayn, you don't give me, or her, enough credit. I simply want to attend a high school track meet." His tone grew cold and Ayman shut his mouth.

Muneer's word didn't sit well with him.

Unfortunately, he couldn't do much else to sway the young CEO."Next two weeks, sir." He replied reluctantly.

Next two weeks was when his sister's life would change indefinitely.

*

Word count-1249

Do vote.