SIX

Do comment

"Where's Mummy?" Meenah asked Aafiyah as she entered the living room, tired from shopping.

"She's in the kitchen. She told me to remind you about the dinner."

"Of course, I won't forget it. I'll be ready in fifteen minutes." Meenah said while going upstairs to change. She rushed to fix herself for dinner. It was her birthday dinner, so she got to look good.

Seventeen. Meenah couldn't help but think time could fly fast. As she was putting some blush on her cheekbones and gloss on her lips, she could not help but stare at her face in the mirror. People would always say she had beautiful eyes. She brushed her long wavy strawberry blonde hair.

A slight knock interrupted her thoughts and she went to open the door.

"Meenah, Mum said you should go down." Affan announced.

"Okay Affan, I would be there in a minute." She answered before she rushed back to the vanity to take a final glimpse of her appearance. Approving on how she looked in front of the mirror, she stroked one last brush of her wavy hair. Her new pink floral summer dress matched with her fuchsia doll shoes just looked good on her.

'Oh, enough with this narcissistic attitude, Ameenah' Her mind bugged her.

She sighed, then plastered a smile on her face, went out of her room and marched down gaily on the winding staircase.

She hummed a birthday song as she walked towards the living room. The moment she remembered about Ayman and his boss, a feeling of dread filled her. She wanted to turn back, but decided against it. As she stepped into the living room, she stood in the doorway staring at her family members who were dressed extravagantly and chatting amongst themselves. With a sigh, she plopped down on a couch.

"All I hear about his boss is shit."

"Language, Meenah!"

Meenah slumped further against the couch as her mother's shrill warning drifted across the kitchen into the living room. Her fingers fumbled across the sleek remote, a sign of her suppressed anxiety.

Today was her so-called birthday dinner and her older brother was bringing his boss over. Despite the fact that she had never met Ayman's boss, who was also her parents boss, she heard plenty about him. Well, that wasn't all true. Ayman only praised his boss and never divulged anything personal. But she remembered all those Eids and holidays when Ayman or her parents have to stay after hours for their boss as well as those late nights when they'd come home looking like shit. All those times her brother had to travel, just to satisfy his boss's desires.

The real reason Meenah despised Ayman's boss was because he took her brother away from her, her best friend and the only person she ever trusted. Ever since Ayman started working for the man, he'd distanced himself from her-from their family. Their friendship had weakened and stretched thin the exact day Ayman came home, sharing the news that he worked as a personal assistant for Muneer Fawaz.

Muneer Fawaz.

The man was a scum.

His name even sounded like he'd be an arrogant schmuck.

She clenched her jaw."Do I really have to be here? I have homework to do."

Abdullah stood in front of the television as he adjusted his tie. She gazed up at him casually, feigning boredom at his daunting, looming presence.

"You've never taken such an interest in homework before. You should have done it earlier when you got home." He knotted the black tie along his neck.
"You'll do well to behave in front of Mr. Fawaz, Ameenah. Do you understand me?"