Chapter 43

It is awkward, having someone staring at you the entire time.

At the least, that is what Jellal currently feels, with so many eyes on him-- eyes of the people who saved Erza when he... ehem, killed her. Their stares unsettled him, and he continuously clenched his hands, fidgeted his fingers, and pulled the inside of his cape because of anxiety and nervousness.

"Hey, you." 

Jellal denies that he almost jumped because of the sudden call. No, that did not happen.

"Yes?" He answered, trying his best to not let his voice crack. He's just too... tense. 

The man with gray hair and brown eyes eyed him intensely, as if scrutinizing any change in his facial expressions.

"Are you a friend of that wi-- ehm, Erza?" He asked, but his tone sounds demanding. Jellal gave the man an awkward smile.

Were they friends? Yes, they were, but they are not?

"I... we were?" The man raised an eyebrow at him.

"Are you asking me, or are you answering me?"

The girl with a ponytail nudged the man. "Come on, Jean. You sounded like you're interrogating someone. Give the man some space to breathe will you?" She mocked, but looking closely at the way she gazes at him, it seems that she also wants him to answer the man's--Jean's-- question. Jellal casted a silent plea to the woman in front of them. The one he loves, the one he doomed, the light of his life.

She just smirked at him playfully.

"Of course we are friends. Where did you get that question, you horse-face?" Erza successfully made Jean feel offended, which irked the latter.

"I'm just asking! We don't know him, okay? And we certainly did not include him on our discussion about our plans. What if he's some sort of spy?"

Jellal wanted to be offended, but knowing that he once did horrible things-- destroying the council, firing Etherion, killing Simon, killing Erza-- well, he can't really be offended. He's... evil.

A sudden flick on his ears woke him up from his thoughts.

Erza frowned at him. "Having negative thoughts about yourself again? Have I not forgiven you enough?"

"Erza... are we friends?" It is obvious that his question stunned Erza silly, as well as the three people eavesdropping behind them.

Jellal knows that Erza knows what he is trying to imply. He knew that he is becoming too greedy, wishing for a chance, for something that he really should not wish for, but he wants to know.

The two stared at each other's eyes for a while, with Sasha, Jean, and Connie looking back and forth at the two of them in the background.

After a few more minutes, Erza answered, showing a small smile while averting her eyes.

"Yes, we are friends."

Oh.

Jellal looked down, before smiling at her.

"The guild is on the other side of the border. Let me escort you all." He changed the topic, and Erza silently thanked him in her mind.

She grinned and pulled the three brats with her.

"Hold tight. If not, you'll be blown away."

They just sent her questioning looks, while Jellal casted his Meteor, letting them experience the worst ride in their lives.