Chapter 42

[In Kardia Cathedral]

Erza took out the latest kind of communication lacrima that's been vibrating nonstop in her pockets. 

Ultear:

Your brats are here. They spilled the beans. New plan. Reply back if you see this.

Erza smiled, amused at how things eventually turned out.

It's not like she did not expect that the news of her being alive won't come out.

"Is that... Ultear? She's alive?!" Jellal exclaimed when he saw the message. It's been years since Ultear went missing, and Meredy is devastated because they couldn't find her. They even thought that she's dead, until Wendy and Chelia revealed that they actually met with Ultear. 

It still isn't enough though, because they couldn't find her traces everywhere.

Erza raised an eyebrow at Jellal, and teased, "Ultear's been here for months already. Or else, how should I have gotten news of your whereabouts?"

"I am clueless!"

"Well then, you might have to scold a certain dragon slayer in your group for not relaying the news."

That snake!

Jellal actually wanted to try snake soup for a change.

"What are your plans then, Titania? It looks like you've learned how to scheme now, based on what Ultear said."

"It's not scheming, it's planning."

Erza rubbed the bridge of her nose. She did say in the meeting with Krista-- oops, Queen Historia, that they have dragons to counter Marley's titans, but truthfully, she can't afford to ask help from Fairytail. She already got a full account from her mother about Team Natsu's battle with the five dragon gods. They've just recovered. Who knows what will happen during the war? She made it this far, but that doesn't mean she already did enough to counter the end of Paradis Island's story.

She can't even explain anything to Eren yet, in fear of... 

"First, help me get my companions. They are on the border of Magnolia. I'll need a large carriage or vehicle to transport them. I'll think of what I'll have to say when we arrive at Fairytail."

~~~ 

"You're Wendy?!"

"The Sky Maiden?!"

"You're a child!"

"No, Eren, she's a teenager."

The people in Fairytail watched with amusement as the visitors from Paradis Island fuss about Wendy.

In the end, Natsu ended their discussion with, "Don't look at her size! She may be small but she can kick ass in a fight!" Lucy reprimanded him because of his tactlessness.

Anyways, it can be seen that ever since they find out that Erza is alive, their moods became better, unlike when Erwin first entered the guild hall. It really seemed like Erza is treasured in this guild, which made it hard for him to process how exactly Erza endured five years without them.

"Now that I think about it..." Almost everyone in the guild stopped making noise when they heard Mira.

"Erza really loves Jellal huh. To think that the first thing she'll do when she arrive in Fiore is to seek him out~"

An imaginary glass breaking into pieces rang in Levi's head. What Mira said immediately caught the attention of both the Fairytail members, and the people from Paradis.

Erza... loves... who?

As if fueling the fire, some members also gave out their insights.

"Of course she'll find him! They're childhood sweethearts!" Evergreen boringly sipped her drink while fiddling with her eyeglasses.

"So the Prince's counterpart here actually is in that relationship with Erza? Why am I surprised? I've always known that His Majesty's relationship with Knightwalker is quite bizarre." Lily gossiped with Cana, who in turn said, "Well, first love never dies."

Not allowing himself to be out of topic, Happy also exclaimed, "That's right! When we were accidentally transported to Edolas while fighting the Dragon Gods, Erza's counterpart is too obedient to Mystogan! She liiiikes him~!"

Because of Mira's topic, everyone then talked about Erza and Jellal's 'love story', not noticing the odd expressions of Levi, Mikasa, Eren, Armin, and Hange. Erwin pretended not to hear the gossips and did not say anything, afraid he might blow up the temper of one certain Captain.

It is then that Gray spoke up that everybody stopped-- "Well, if we think about it, if not for Ultear ---I'm not blaming you okay--- if not for Ultear controlling and brainwashing Jellal during their childhood, they would have become a couple early on. Don't you think so?"--- and started a new wave of conjectures. Even Natsu hummed and started to think about it.

"Wait, wait. We are confused. Who is this Jellal? What happened with him and Erza-san? And with Ultear-san?" Eren can't hold back anymore and asked the gossiping guild members. They all turned their attention towards him, not noticing Hange guiding a certain man to a stool and ordered him a tea so he could calm down.

"Oh~ Erza did not tell you?"

"Knowing that Erza did not contact us for years, it could be assumed that she did not tell them about us right?"

"What do you know about her childhood?"

Mikasa, Armin, and Eren looked at each other, not knowing what to say. They knew something, but not... everything. They don't even know which among what Erza said is the truth. As if knowing what is in their minds, Makarov decided to interrupt their conversation.

"It seems you were kind of kept in the dark. Let's just say this then, Erza and Jellal were friends before, but things happen and they walked on separate paths. Years later, they met again, but as enemies. An incident happened, and that is what brought Erza to Paradis, while we assumed her death. After that, we got to meet Ultear, who in turn explained that she's the cause of the rift between the two." 

Everyone from Paradis casted a glance at Ultear's expression, who is full of guilt.

"But I thought... you were old friends?" Armin asked in a whisper, but Ultear shook her head.

"I... my childhood isn't the best, and I made some really stupid and wicked decisions in life. One of that is inciting chaos between Erza and Jellal. I'm..."

Eileen smiled at her with melancholy. "We made mistakes dear. It's human. You've already paid for it."

Laxus, the Thunder Tribe, Gajeel, and Juvia also felt guilty because once upon a time, they were also the ones who tried to bring Fairytail down. Especially Laxus. When he executed his plan to overthrow Makarov and initiated the Battle of Fairytail, he didn't know that Erza is 'dead'. It took a few more punches from both Natsu and Gajeel and a reprimand from Guildarts who suddenly appeared out of nowhere. When he was expelled, as a form of atonement, he also tried to search for Erza's corpse, since Natsu and the others weren't able to recover it. Who knows that the person is not actually dead and just crossed over to another country through some sort of weird shit.

After a moment of silence, Armin tried his best to ask, "So you mean to say, Erza-nee and Jellal... is a couple?"

"They are considered one."

BLAG!

Before they could even look over the direction of the crash, Levi is already out of the guild's premises.

Hange laughed awkwardly. "Sorry for that, he's just too bad-tempered. He doesn't like listening to gossips."

Lucy raised an eyebrow and teasingly asked her, "Gossips about Erza's childhood lover?"

The members of Survey Corps looked at each other's eyes, not knowing how to reply to Lucy's question. If Erza really had a past lover, it would be weird to tell them that they have their own ship, right? However, before they could even think of an excuse, Mira squealed, followed by different reactions.

"Oh! I knew it!"

"It is obvious!"

"Eileen-sama really shared a good rumor today!"

The people from Paradis doesn't know how to react anymore.