Chapter Four

Sophi’s Point of view

After unpacking and taking a nap, Sophi sat up and stretched in bed. Climbing out of the bed, she headed into the hallway and heard sounds coming from the living room. Heading in the direction of the noise she saw Cry, his back was to her, sitting on the floor playing Mortal Kombat. His mask was off and on the floor beside him. As much as she wanted to surprise him and see his face, she knew he maybe wasn’t ready to trust her with that yet, so she cleared her throat to make her presence known.

Cry froze and she saw his body tense up then relax. He paused the game and reached over to pick up his mask, putting it back on before turning to her.

“How was your nap?” Cry asked.

“It was good,” Sophi said with a smile, walking over to join him on the floor. She sat close to him, her knee on top of his. She could see his cheeks turn red under the mask, “Mind if I join? I always thought this game was better against an actual person.”

Cry nodded, “You like Mortal Kombat?”

“I love it. Only game I like better is Street Fighter.”

“Favorite player?”

“Cammy for Street Fighter and Sub Zero for Mortal Kombat,” Sophi replied, choosing Sub Zero in player selection as she spoke.

“Hmm, I see we share a love for the frozen legend,” Cry said.

Sophi laughed, “That we do.”

A couple matches later Sophi heard her stomach grumble again.

“Ready for some Chinese?” Cry asked.

Sophi nodded, “Yes please. Let me go get my wallet.”

She started to get up but felt a hand wrap around her wrist and pull her back down gently, “No. My treat.”

Sophi blushed at the physical contact and looked back at the masked face that stared directly at her. She just nodded. They stayed there for a bit before Cry let go and stood up to walk into the chicken, “What do you want?” he called.

“Sweet and sour chicken please.”

She heard Cry call and place the order. As she waited, she walked over and browsed his DVD collection.

“See something you like?”

Sophi jumped and turned around, “You scared me.” She made a pout and Cry walked over.

“Awh, I’m sorry,” He said, ruffling her hair.

Sophi swatted at his hand, “I’m not your kid sister.”

Pfft, that’s for sure. If you were my sister, you’d be cooler.”

Sophi’s jaw dropped and she faked angered, “Are you saying I’m not cool?”

She smacked his chest, “Take that back.”

“Hmmm,” Cry rubbed his chin as though he was thinking, “Nah.”

Sophi grinned evilly, “Okay. I’ll get you back.”

“Oh yeah, how?”

Sophi stepped closer to him, so close they were chest to chest and their faces inches apart, “You’ll see.”

She felt Cry’s body tense at her touch. She smiled at him innocently before turning back to the DVD rack.

“Oh you have Sinister.”

“Yeah, do you like it?” Cry asked. Sophi could tell by his voice that he was still close behind her. She turned back around.

“Well I do, but I get scared at all the jump scares.”

“Well, let’s watch it. I mean, this time you have a big strong man to keep you safe,” Cry said taking the case from her.

“Oh really?” Sophi asked, a look of wonder on her face, “Where’s he at?”

Cry just stared at her for a moment then smirked, “Oh so this is you getting me back? You’ll have to do better than that.”

Sophi stuck her tongue out at him before heading over to the couch. After popping in the DVD, Cry joined her. 

As the movie played Sophi was gradually getting closer and closer to Cry with every jump scare that happened. By the time the movie ended Sophi was pressed against his side and his arm was wrapped around her shoulder. Sophi peeked out from behind her hand.

“It’s just the credits,” Cry said in a low voice, chuckling.

Sophi poked him in the ribs gently, “Hush.”

Neither of them moved, content with the position they were in.

Sophi look up at the masked face. Feeling bold, she ran her fingers through Cry’s dark brown hair gently and then down the side of his face. Shifting in her seat, she turned to face him. She put both hands on either side of his mask. Cry froze. Slowly, Sophi pulled his mask up, stopping right above his mouth.

“Sophi,” Cry said softly.

“I have a crush on you.”

Silence.