Chapter 14: Nepheli Loux

Start from the beginning

She knew... because her father had taught her, had made sure she knew. Sir Gideon Ofnir the All-Knowing had spoken in length about the Albinaurics, and the possibility of their myths and legends about this Haligtree being true, being real. He'd even theorized that the Haligtree might represent a path to another demigod, another Great Rune.

Had he...?

Before Nepheli's thoughts can truly turn down THAT dark path, the crunch of foot falls from further down the hillside path catch her attention, and her head flings around, hands closing around the shafts of her axes in preparation for battle. When she sees who it is, she relaxes a tad, but does not release her hold on her weapons. Not in a place like this.

"Ah, it's you."

Tis the Tarnished from before. The warrior who had laid Godrick the Grafted low with her help, who she had... engaged in a dalliance with afterwards. Somehow, her father had heard about that. She supposed she shouldn't have been surprised; his title was the All-Knowing for a reason. Still, she didn't quite understand what his opinion on the matter was. He'd spoken in riddles, as he so liked to do, but it had felt almost as if he both approved and disapproved at the same time.

Regardless, she was a woman grown, and she could make her own choices. Besides, though the other Tarnished was bare-chested once more, and wielding his two great axes as he came upon her, she did not feel any spark of lust or arousal in his presence or from his appearance. How could she, when her stomach turned end over end from the sights around them, the acrid smells in the air, the horrible wailing on the wind?

He too, looks solemn and mournful, as he gives her a nod in greeting, his arms crossing over his chest and his gaze drifting over the bodies piled in front of her. Kneeling there, Nepheli's breath hitches and she feels a modicum of embarrassment. At the same time, she needs... she needs to know he played no part in this. He comes upon her from the lakes, so it seems unlikely, but at the same time... she has to make sure he doesn't condone this.

"What... what do you make of it? What's happened to this village?"

She watches him carefully, this Tarnished who had slain a Demigod, albeit the weakest of the bunch. Never mind how 'weak' Godrick was compared to the others, he was still a shardbearer, and the man before her had still claimed his Great Rune. In comparison, even her father had less of a claim to the title of Elden Lord than this Tarnished did.

Face drawn, lips pulled into a deep frown, and brow furrowed, the Tarnished shakes his head. Silent as he is, it might as well be him decrying the terrible acts committed her at the top of his lungs. Letting out a shuddering breath, Nepheli nods in turn. He doesn't condone this. Good. G-good...

"... I witnessed a sight much the same, in my infancy. The oppression of the weak. Murder and pillage left unchecked. A waking nightmare, made by men."

And that's the worst of it, in Nepheli's opinion. This is not an atrocity caused by beasts, anymore than the horrific grafting she witnessed in Stormveil Castle. The cursemongers are men and women, same as her. They are of the Erdtree, same as her. Or at least, they are supposed to be. Touched by grace, are they not supposed to be better than this... this base savagery?

Except, if her suspicions are true... Nepheli shakes her head, dispelling such thoughts for the time being. She MUST remain clear-headed. There is work to be done here. When she raises her head again and settles her gaze once more upon her fellow Tarnished's face, she likes to think he sees her determination and resolve.

"But this time... this time I am a woman grown. And though the suffering cannot be undone, I can still mete out justice."

Taking in a deep breath, she licks her lips.