Chapter 10: Down The Line

Muren left his room as usual and headed towards school. On his way, he could see students from other classes giving him odd glances and directly pointing at him. It was like he was a lab rat trapped in a see-through room for everyone's amusement. 

The rumors about Class D and all of their secrets were posted in the school forum yesterday. It was clear that others became aware of it and the word spread throughout the entire school. Class D was now like a tiny boat riddled with holes for everyone to see. A boat that others could effortlessly capsize at any moment and watch it get crushed by the current.

"Why are you spacing out like an idiot?"

As Muren vividly considered this bleak scenario, a voice suddenly called out to him.

A familiar short-haired girl walked beside him. She had a sweet voice and carried herself nicely. But what wasn't so nice was her disgusted expression and tone.

"Ah, Kushida. Did you sleep well last night?" Muren inquired with blatant ridicule. He could perceive her restlessness from her eyes.

"Grrr!" Kushida rushed closer to Muren as she growled threateningly. But the two of them didn't stop walking.

"I didn't expect you to show up to class today. I thought you would stay holed up inside your room."

Kushida's face twisted venomously in response. She was still frustrated after yesterday, particularly because everyone in this school knows that she isn't as good-natured as she appears.

"Don't underestimate me. Why should I do something like that?" Kushida cooled down a little. She realized Muren was deliberately inciting her.

"Is that so? However, I find that pretty hard to believe." replied Muren. He had good reasons to feel that way.

Kushida narrowed her eyes. After muttering to herself under her breath, she exhaled, "Don't get the wrong idea. I still want to see the class crumble before my eyes. And I especially want to see you wail pathetically as you try to keep it from breaking. I'm just waiting to watch it play out."

Kushida started smiling as if she could already see this outcome. To her, it was only natural that Class D will soon fall apart.

"Even if we perform well in the future?" Muren asked.

Kushida rolled her eyes and explained, "There is a reason why the light and dark are separate. This world will never allow anything considered evil and ugly into the surface. It will continuously discourage it and only approve of things that are considered good and noble. That's why people can never be their true and ugly selves. We will continually repress it until we become twisted beyond repair."

Muren raised his eyebrows, impressed by Kushida's perspective on the present situation. 'She must've been thinking about this her whole life'

"So Class D is doomed no matter what?"

"You noticed it, didn't you? The school didn't do anything to investigate this incident. They already know that these rumors are true and they are used to these kind of things happening. That's probably why this place is isolated from the outside world. They don't even have to worry about covering anything up. Right now, as far as this school is concerned, Class D are the trash of society while Class A are a group of upstanding individuals.

"Even if this class miraculously becomes the best, the people outside of it will force it down until they disappear from their line of sight. Heh, let's not even talk about what the people inside the class will do to each other." Kushida dismissed.

She walked ahead and entered the classroom. Muren silently shook his head and followed after her.

Right in front of them stood a long-haired girl who kept her arms folded while glaring daggers back-and-forth between Muren and Kushida. She seemed to be questioning what they were doing together