Home

From the rooftop window, Adrien watched as the ambulance with his mother drove away. It was strange. He knew he should be happy, ecstatic even. But Adrien couldn't shake the sickening feeling in his gut. That mother, who he had always loved and idolized, somehow had a part in his father's plan. Hawkmoth's plan.

She wasn't innocent in this.

Adrien swallowed the nausea growing inside him. This didn't feel right. Of all the ways he had imagined defeating Hawkmoth, it was never like this. Adrien had always imagined a great, decisive battle. Where he and Ladybug, along with the other heroes, would fight with everything they had. And then, once their hard-earned victory was achieved, their hearts would overflow with joy and elation.

This victory felt hollow. It wasn't the fight between good and evil that it should have been. Instead of black and white, it was an unsettling gray.

Was he happy? Adrien's mother had come back to him. It should feel like a dream come true, but it just... didn't. Adrien still had so many questions, and yet at the same time, he didn't want to know the answers. The more he learned, the more the image of his mother might change. The sweet, kind angel of his memory might be replaced with something more... complicated. He wasn't sure he was ready for that.

Did he really know her at all?

"It took a bit of convincing," Tikki's bright voice startled him out of his thoughts. "But the rest of the Kwamis are back inside the Miracle Box. We're ready to go."

Adrien nodded, turning away from the window. Then, he quickly found the duffle bag and gently placed the Miracle box inside. Next, he blew out the candles before turning his attention toward Marinette.

With her hands folded neatly in her lap, she sat slouched against the wall. Marinette stared ahead vacantly; she hadn't said much since Emilie woke up. No doubt, she was troubled by the same thoughts he was. Still, Adrien was perplexed by her lack of enthusiasm. For weeks now, they would daydream together of the moment when Marinette could resume her old life. Now that it was here, why was she just sitting like this?

Adrien walked over to her and offered his hand. "It's time."

Marinette's eyes drifted up to meet his. Inhaling a shaky breath, she reached for his hand and slowly rose to her feet. Adrien pulled her into his arms, holding her tightly against his body. Marinette hugged him back with a strength he didn't know she had. For several minutes, they stayed motionless, clinging to each other in the dark apartment.

An ache started forming in Adrien's chest. Marinette would sleep in her own house tonight, in her own bed. More than anything, Adrien wanted Marinette to be able to rejoin her life, and yet, part of him couldn't help feeling a sense of loss. As if these past few weeks, Marinette had belonged to him, and only him, and now it was time to give her back. Adrien hung his head, ashamed of his own thoughts.

"We should go," he whispered against her hair.

Marinette gave a tiny nod. As they pulled away from each other, Plagg and Tikki flew over expectantly. Adrien held Marinette's hand as they spoke in unison.

"Spots on."

"Claws out."

Once the transformations faded, Chat grabbed the duffle bag and secured it over his shoulder. Then, he opened the window and jumped to the ledge. Checking to make sure Ladybug was right beside him, he leaped to the rooftop.

It was only a short distance to the Dupain-Chengs' bakery, but it took them twice as long as it normally should. More than once, Chat had to stop and wait for Ladybug to catch up. Even at their slower pace, it wasn't long before they landed outside the Dupain-Cheng's apartment window.