An Unexpected Visitor

Marinette groaned as she ran her fingers through her hair. It was probably a good thing that there wasn't a mirror in this apartment. At least, she could pretend her hair wasn't a total disaster. Oh, how she wished she could style her hair again; then, her bangs wouldn't fall into her eyes so much. At this point, she might as well grow them out. Besides, it wasn't like she would see a hairdresser anytime soon.

Hmm... She could always wear the Monkey Miraculous. A headband would keep her hair out of her eyes. Or perhaps the hair clips? Marinette glanced over at the sewing box and frowned. If she let one out, the others would complain. And she already felt bad about keeping them hidden away. Not that she had much choice in the matter. 15 Kwami were hardly silent, and she couldn't risk having the neighbors hear.

Perhaps she could see if Adrien could find some hair clips or a bandana. Some makeup would be nice, too. Marinette smiled to herself. Maybe, somehow, she could find a way to dress up for Adrien.

Closing her eyes, Marinette bit her lip as she remembered Adrien in his suit last night. Man, that boy looked hot! Marinette wished she could look nice for him, too. He had made their "Date Night" so special, and yet she only had her frumpy, tired clothes to wear.

It has been three weeks since Adrien first kissed her. Three weeks of sleeping by his side. Three weeks of waking up in his arms. When she was with Adrien, Marinette was filled with such blissful happiness that she could almost forget the outside world. Almost forget about everything that she had lost.

Even during the days she spent away from Adrien, Marinette found she cried less. It wasn't that the pain had softened. No, it wasn't that. Her heart had just become used to it. It was an emptiness that was always there. The grief and loss were a part of her now.

It was strange. Marinette still had all the memories of her old life, but lately, it was as if they belonged to someone else. The details seemed more like scenes from a beloved movie rather than from a life that once belonged to her.

Marinette rubbed her palms together, trying to warm up her hands. It was still a few hours until it was time to go to Adrien's; she should try to fill some time. Maybe she could design some evening wear in her new sketchbooks. Marinette slumped as she looked out the window. The sun had already set, and, without functioning lights, the apartment would get dark soon. Marinette had some candles for emergencies, but she should probably save those. Wanting to draw was hardly an emergency.

Maybe Marinette should leave a message for Chat? He might be up for a phone call. Although he still hadn't joined her on patrols, Chat was always up to keep her company, and he usually had free time after dinner.

Suddenly, Marinette jumped to her feet at the sound of someone kicking open the window. Her arms flew up instinctively as the intruder burst into the apartment. Quickly eyeing her surroundings, Marinette grabbed a scrap piece of lumber, ready to defend herself. But she instantly dropped the makeshift weapon when she saw Chat Noir holding a woman in his arms.

"Please, Marinette! Help her!" he shouted.

Marinette paled; she could feel herself start to panic. What? How... how did Chat know she was here?! Or alive for that matter! No. Chat couldn't know Marinette was alive. No one could!

"Ch...Chat Noir? How did you find me?" she stammered. "What's going on?"

Chat didn't answer; he wasn't even looking at her. His eyes were closed as he held the woman tightly to his chest. As Marinette slowly walked closer, she could tell from the shaking of his shoulders that he was sobbing. What? Chat's crying? Who is this woman?