Chat Noir Returns

Marinette slept without dreaming.

Sleep had been difficult these past few weeks. Nightmares plagued her, even when she didn't remember her dreams. Then, every morning when Marinette awoke, she kept her eyes tightly squeezed shut. Marinette would hope against hope that she might see the familiar sights of her room when she opened her eyes. Then, all this could have been a nightmare. But it was always the same old derelict apartment that greeted her.

But not today.

It was warm here. And soft. So wonderfully soft.

Marinette felt Adrien's fingers move ever-so-slightly against her own. Did he really hold her hand all night? Marinette wiggled her entwined fingers as she slowly opened her eyes. She immediately saw Adrien's sleepy face gazing back at her.

"Good morning," he whispered.

"Good morning," Marinette felt her face begin to flush. Adrien was so close, laying on the pillow next to hers. She quickly broke eye contact and looked around the room. Through the windows, the clouds were just starting to lighten into the soft greys of the morning. Beside her, Adrien lay in his pajamas, still on top of the covers.

"How long have you been awake?" she asked.

"A while," Adrien answered back. With one final squeeze, he let go of her hand and rubbed his eyes. "Did you sleep well?"

"Better than I have in a long time." Marinette rolled over onto her back and stretched her arms high overhead. Her eyes immediately focused on her naked finger. "My ring!"

"Don't worry, Marinette," Tikki suddenly flew over. "Plagg took it back to Chat Noir."

Closing her eyes, Marinette hugged her hands to her chest, caressing her newly bare finger. Everything will be better soon. Once she had Chat back, they could start to set things right. Somehow. They could take the fight to Hawkmoth. And once his reign of terror ended, Marinette wouldn't have to hide her identity. She could go home.

Her eyes flew open. "I have to call him!"

"He's probably still sleeping," Tikki yawned to prove her point. "It's six in the morning."

"I don't care." Marinette scrambled out of bed. "Tikki, Spots on!"

The familiar light of her transformation quickly surrounded her. Once it faded, Ladybug promptly pulled out her compact. She knew there was little chance Chat would be up this early, but she had to try. Almost instantly, she saw his away screen pop up, then the prompt to leave a message. Ladybug stared at the blinking screen for a moment, suddenly at a loss for words.

"Chat... I.... I'm so sorry," Ladybug's throat felt so tight; all she could manage was a whisper.  'I'm so sorry I had to take your Miraculous. And... I wasn't even there to explain why."

Hot tears started to burn her eyes.

"I can't imagine what these weeks for you must have been like. But, please, believe me, I wouldn't have... I didn't mean-"

A sob caught in her throat, making it impossible for Ladybug to speak. As much as she wanted to see her partner again, a nagging fear terrified her. Would Chat Noir be angry? Ladybug wasn't sure she could bear it, not with everything else. She needed Chat Noir to be his happy, silly self. She took a deep, shaky breath and continued.

"Please, as soon as possible, can... can we meet? I need to see you again."

Ladybug wiped her eyes with the back of her wrists, but her eyes kept filling with tears.

"I've missed you so much. Kitty. You have no idea." With a final sob, Ladybug closed her compact. Then hugged it tightly. After a few deep breaths,  She looked back over to where Adrien was sitting on the bed.