The Ritual

From across the room, Marinette could clearly see Gabriel and Nathalie standing in the hallway. A wave of panic washed over Marinette as her heart pounded in her ears. The man who had been Hawkmoth stood right before her!

"Nathalie, Father," Adrien greeted formally, though there was an undeniable hardness in his voice.

"What is this place? Gabriel asked as he walked through the doorway. He immediately froze when he saw Marinette. For a moment, Gabriel stood blinking silently in the dim candlelight. "M... Marinette Dupain-Cheng?"

It took everything she had not to transform at that very second.

"Yes," Adrien answered. "And also the Guardian of the Miraculous,"

"But that's... Ladybug?"

Marinette nodded.

"But you... Marinette," Gabriel's eyes were wide with confusion. "You died, saving my son."

"Yes, I did," Marinette responded coldly; her mind couldn't ignore that she was talking to Hawkmoth."Though, with the Kwamis' help, Adrien was able to revive me."

With wide eyes, Gabriel looked back and forth between Adrien and Marinette. Then his gaze fell to where Emile lay on the floor. "And... you think they can help... my wife."

Marinette nodded.

"But why? Why would you help me? After everything I put you through."

"I'm not doing it for you," she responded harshly.

Gabriel stared back at Marinette; it was almost as if he didn't know how to respond. Soon, his attention was once again drawn to his wife on the floor.

"Emilie's body is still very damaged," Wayzz told him from across the room. The Kwamis were deliberately keeping their distance. "And her soul has been lost to the spirit realm."

"What can be done?" Nathalie asked.

"When there are enough Kwamis together, we can perform a ritual. A ritual that can use someone's body to heal another," Tikki replied.

Marinette noticed Gabriel's eyes shift to Nooroo. The tiny purple Kwami flinched, then hid behind Longg.

"I see. Whose body will you use?"

Adrien reached for Marinette's hand. "With two people, the damage will be easier to bear," he told his father softly.

Gabriel's jaw dropped ever so slightly as he looked at his son. Then, his eyes drifted toward Marinette. All manner of emotions seemed to be washing over his face. It was a rotating mix of heartbreak, sadness, and confusion over why his enemy would help.

"Three," Natalie added, stepping forward. "Use mine, too."

Gabriel's breath seemed to hitch in his chest as he turned to look at his assistant.  He then nodded. "Mine as well," Gabriel whispered,

"During the ritual, a door will then need to be opened," Sass added. "To bring back Emilie's soul."

"Only the one closest to her can bring her back," Wayzz further explained.

"You have to find her," Adrien told him while looking over at Marinette. "Call out to her.  And hold on to her with all that you have."

"I understand," Gabriel nodded.

"No, I don't think you do," Sass interjected. "There is only a small chance it will work. And if it fails, you could be left in the same state as your wife."

Gabriel looked down at Emilie's motionless form.

"Father, they are saying that you may die," Adrien spoke bluntly.