Gabriel was thoughtful for a moment. "It's the only chance Emilie has. Isn't it?"

Sass nodded in response.

"It was my own ambitions that got us here," he admitted, his voice dripping with determination. "Ambitions that deprived my son of his mother. If there is a chance I can make things right, I will do it. No matter the risk."

Cautiously, the remaining Kwamii floated forward until they hovered above Emilie's body. Marinette could tell by their body language that they were still very much afraid of Nooroo's former holder.

Gabriel took off his suit jacket and knelt on the floor next to his wife. Nathalie joined him a moment later. Still holding Adrien's hand, Marinette led him to the other side of his mother's body.

Marinette could tell Gabriel was looking at her, but she deliberately avoided meeting his eyes. Soon the Kwamis had arranged themselves in a circle above Emilie.

"Wait," Gabriel abruptly called out, Marinette couldn't help flinching at his voice. "There is something that I need to say," he continued, directly staring at Marinette.

"Marinette, there are no words to describe how sorry I am for... for everything. For what you've lost. You saved Adrien's life," Gabriel's voice cracked as he said his son's name. "For that alone, I owe you a debt I can never repay."

Gabriel closed his eyes and brought his hand to his chest. "From the bottom of my heart, I thank you."

Marinette squirmed, knowing she should say something. But she had no idea how to respond. This wasn't like her; as Ladybug, she was never at a loss for words when dealing with Hawkmoth. Somehow, it was easier to think of him as an irredeemable villain, not as a misguided father grieving his wife. She bit her lip and quickly looked away.

"Nathalie," Gabriel turned to his assassant. "If I fail, I need you to take care of my son."

Nathalie's normally stoic face was full of emotion as she quickly nodded. "I will, sir."

Next, Gabriel turned toward his son. Adrien stiffed as he met his father's eyes. "I should have been better to you," he admitted softly. "I see that now. You deserved better."

Without waiting for Adrien to respond, Gabriel turned his attention toward Emilie. Taking her hand into his own, he raised it to his lips, planting a kiss on her knuckles. "I'll see you soon, my love. One way or another. We will be together again."

With his face full of determination, Gabriel took a deep breath and nodded toward Wayzz. Soon, all the Kwamis flew in a tight circle above Emilie, chanting and singing in an ancient language Marinette didn't understand. Its song was beautiful and mesmerizing, yet something about it terrified her. There was so much power here, power Marinette didn't comprehend.

Soon, the space between the Kwamis started to glow.

Marinette gasped as a strange warmth started to fill her body. It wasn't exactly painful, but it left her feeling queasy and weak. Adrien's grip on her hand became tighter, and Marinette squeezed it back with all she had. The odd sensation became more intense; Marinette closed her eyes and focused on the feel of Adrien's hand in hers.

Minutes passed, as the Kwami's continued their ritual. Before long, Marinette opened her eyes again and looked down at Emilie. She was lying just as still as before, but a glowing mist enveloped her body.

Then, without warning, Gabriel's body went limp, and he slumped to the ground.

"Gabriel!" Nathalie called out as she picked him up by his shoulders. Trying to get a reaction, she gently tapped his cheek, but Gabriel just lay motionless. Nathalie looked over to Marinette with panic in her eyes.