His jaw clenched and he leaned down, burying his head in her shoulder.

"Don't do this," he said.

"I have to," she said, struggling to keep her voice even. "I have to stop this before it starts because otherwise I won't be strong enough to walk away from you."

She did her best to push him away, and this time, he didn't fight her. His arms dropped to his sides in defeat and he didn't attempt to stop her again.

The sun had almost completely set and she turned her back on the beautiful orange hues and the angel that was illuminated in its vermillion light. She started making her way towards the private entrance leading up to her apartment and with every step through the white sand a little piece of her heart chipped away.

He didn't call after her.

And she didn't turn back.

When she made it back up to her apartment, the tears began to run more fervently.

Sniffling and holding back a sob that threatened to tear through her chest, Auden rushed into her bedroom and looked around the room. She paused for a moment, struggling to breath, then the dam inside her broke.

She threw open the closet doors and began taking down her clothes from the hangars in a frantic hurry. She moved to her dresser next, desperately pulling out her belongings and throwing them onto the floor.

Then she grabbed her suitcase and began stuffing everything inside it.

She couldn't wait another week.

She had to get out of there.

She was done with the album and so technically there was nothing they should need her for anymore. Emmie would be fine with her arriving a week earlier than planned. She had to be.

Auden did her best to pack through the emotions that were threatening to consume her.

When she finally managed to get all her belongings packed away she carried her luggage to the door, and called Han to pick her up.

Her hands were shaking as she held the phone to her ear. Han answered on the second ring.

"Miss Tremaine, how can I help you?" he asked.

"Can you take me home, Han?" she asked. "I need to go home."

A short pause sounded over the receiver.

"Of course. I'll be downstairs waiting for you in the car."

"Thank you."

Auden took one last look at the apartment and a bunch of emotions passed through her, causing her throat to tighten again. She was never going to be able to forget the months she spent in that apartment, and she was never going to be able to forget the moments she'd had with him.

With those thoughts, she took a deep breath, trying to compose herself before meeting Han, and then opened the door.

***

Emmie didn't say anything to Auden when she opened the door to find her on the doorstep. She took one look at Auden and pulled her into the house, wrapping her arms around her. She still had her purple cast on, which made it a tad bit difficult to use both arms, but somehow she managed.

"You don't have to tell me, but what happened?" she asked after a long five minute hug.

Auden was sniffling into her friends shoulder, fighting back tears. "I left."

"I can see that," Emmie said, pulling back a tad to look her up and down. Auden knew she must look as awful as she felt.

"I told him I couldn't start something with him."