♡Chapter 7: Swim♡

As Jess and Parker walk out of the school building that after noon, they get intercepted by Luke standing at the entrance. He catches up with them, and stands next to Jess. He starts pestering and asking a bunch of questions about how school was, and Jess answers with sarcasm.

"Learn anything good?" Luke asks

"Oh yeah tons of things-" Parker starts, slightly sarcastic, but slightly genuine.

"I got gold stars plastered all over my forehead" Jess finishes, his words dripping with sarcasm.

Luke smiled a bit at Parker, then went back to Jess. "I had an interesting call today" he says to them. "Wanna know who?

"Not really." Jess answers, uninterested.

"From Taylor Doose - you know, he owns the market" he continues, ignoring Jess's attitude.

"Oh him... If you say so" says Parker, remembering that when they met, he was yelling at her.

"He said you two came in today. He said Parker distracted him while you stole money from a donation cup to help him repair the bridge. I told him he was crazy." He's starting to ramble now, obviously upset. "I told him you wouldn't do that, neither of you are thieves, and I hung up on him."

He paused to take a breath, Jess and Parker keep walking in silence, and then continued.

"And don't get me wrong, I enjoy hanging up on Taylor, and he is crazy. But I was just wondering if maybe any of the things he said were true." He paused to look at them, waiting for a response.

"What do you think?" Jess answered.

"I think that if you tell me what he says isn't true, I'm gonna believe it." He says, and Parker smirks a little, knowing what Jess's answer would be.

"It's not true." Jess says bluntly as they approach the bridge.

"That doesn't sound very convincing" he says back, and Parker can tell that that annoyed Jess a lot, and her thoughts were confirmed when he answered.

"What do you want from me?! You put me in a school that says the 'pledge of allegiance' in six different languages, two of which I've never heard of, you take me away from my home, my friends, and now you want what from me?!" Jess yells, as he stops walking. Luke stands there for a moment, stunned before continuing.

"I'm trying to help you!" Says Luke back, his voice rising in volume too.

"Well stop trying!" Jess yells back. "Stop talking to me, stop following me, stop asking me questions, just stop!"

"Jess hold on-" Parker starts to say, but gets ignored.

"That's what you want?" Luke is yelling too now.

"Yes!"

"That's really what you want?"

"Yes!"

"Fine, you got it."

"Thank you!"

"You're welcome!"

At that, they both storm off and keep walking down the bridge, as Parker walks behind them. The tension between them is almost visible, until it is suddenly broken.

To Parker's shock, she watches as Luke's hand shoots out to his side, pushing Jess over the edge of the bridge.