Chapter One

St

St. Augustine, Florida
2022

This was St. Augustine. The oldest city in North America, the precipice of historical richness. A city built upon magic, dreams, and of course, paradise.

Originally know as the "Rivieria of the final Frontier," St. Augustine was a town discovered by Spanish explorer, Ponce De Leon. Upon realizing the oceanic currents were pulling him fatefully north, he turned his ships until the blessed outlines of land were visible to the naked eye.

It was on this haunted ground that the city of light, music and romance was originally developed into fruition.

I pondered these facts as my mom pulled up into the tourist parking garage at the base of the downtown entrance.

We had finally made it. Being from North Carolina, I had dreamed of visiting this place for practically a decade since we had vacationed here last. I loved this city.

Entering into the historical town was like venturing inside another world. Yes, the modern age had quite taken over the historic architecture with hundreds of small shops, local restaurants and museums around every corner, however the nostalgia of the environment still held on with a persistent, silent whisper of imagination hovering above in the air.

I assumed this was why it was so heavily flocked with tourists.

Parking our car took well over an hour before we could even find an empty slot. All the while, the stereo in our car was blasting to some tune of Miley Cyrus belting out about how nothing breaks like a heart. Just my song...

"Lilith, screw that asshole." Lacie said. She was right. I knew she was. I just couldn't help but feel wretchedly bitter and disappointed with my last breakup.

Dating men was like wading through a pool of sharks and hoping you wouldn't get bit. My last boyfriend couldn't keep a job and constantly borrowed money from me. Then he broke up with me when I couldn't afford to give him more.

"Yeah, I know. If only he wasn't so charming." I muttered sadly. I was truly fine though. There was no way I would be crying over some guy. I couldn't even remember his name anymore.

"Hey, my stomach is telling me I need to eat those chips." Lacie said, reaching up from the backseat of the white sedan to grab the bag of Fritos in the middle console.

My mom looked back at me as she quietly said,

"You know my offer still stands. I can still kick his ass. Just say the word and I'll find him. You should always remember your mother has a third degree in black-belt karate. I'm a walking weapon, honey."

I nodded while swallowing nervously. Many people respected and feared my mother for her sheer badassary and no-nonsense attitude, unless it was party time. Then she was a true force to be reckoned with.