Chapter 18

KYRA

      Air traffic control didn't want to let an unscheduled helicopter land at the Oakland Airport—until Piper got on the radio. Then it turned out to be no problem.

      They unloaded on the tarmac, and everyone looked at Piper. 

     What now?" Jason asked her.

      Piper looked uncomfortable, frowning deeply in thought. Kyra did the same, what was she going to do now? Did she go with them as they fought more enemies? Could she even handle it? Where would she go if they didn't want her to come with her? 

      Kyra's spiraling thoughts were interrupted by Piper. "First thing," she said. "I—I have to get my dad home. I'm sorry, guys."

      Their faces fell.

      "Oh," Leo said. "I mean, absolutely. He needs you right now. We can take it from here."

      "Pipes, no." Her dad had been sitting in the helicopter doorway, a blanket around his shoulders. But he stumbled to his feet. "You have a mission. A quest. I can't—"

     "I'll take care of him," said Coach Hedge.

      Kyra stared at him. The satyr was the last person she'd expected to offer. "You?" Piper asked.

      "I'm a protector," Gleeson said. "That's my job, not fighting."

      He sounded a little crestfallen, and Kyra realized maybe Piper shouldn't have recounted how he got knocked unconscious in the last battle. In his own way, perhaps the satyr was sensitive. 

      Then Hedge straightened and set his jaw. "Of course, I'm good at fighting, too." He glared at them all, daring them to argue.

      "Yes," Jason said.

      "Terrifying," Leo agreed.

      "The best," Kyra added quietly from her place next to Leo. 

      The coach grunted. "But I'm a protector, and I can do this. Your dad's right, Piper. You need to carry on with the quest."

      "But..." Piper started as Kyra felt her eyes begin to water again. They obviously cared a lot about each other. And it was clearly difficult for the two to say goodbye after what Piper's dad had endured.

      "Dad..."

      He held out his arms, and she hugged him.

      "Let's give them a minute," Jason said, and they took the pilot a few yards down the tarmac.

      The group stood beside each other, nobody quite knowing what to say. Kyra kept her gaze toward the ground before she felt Leo's gaze on her, she looked up, meeting his eyes. She wasn't sure why, but she thought she could trust Leo. He was the first person she could look in the eyes without thinking she was going to be punished for it. 

      He gave her a small smile before saying softly, "Kyra, maybe you should go with Coach Hedge and Piper's dad."

      "What?" She questioned, her voice cracking either from not being used in a while or due to the tightness she felt in her throat as she choked down tears, attempting to maintain her composure. 

      "I think he's right Kyra," Jason added, turning and looking at her. "This is going to be dangerous and if we can get you somewhere safe I think it's better if we do that instead of risking your life by bringing you with us." Leo nodded his head beside her. 

      Kyra felt her heart constrict in her chest, they were going to leave her behind. She felt like a burden, and she probably was one.

      She drew her gaze back to the ground, shifting away from the boys uncomfortably. "But- I want to stay with you guys," she told them quietly, keeping her voice soft so as to not anger the two boys. She hadn't tried to defy anyone in a while and she wasn't sure what their reaction would be.