Chapter 17

LEO

      Borrowing the helicopter was easy. Getting Piper's dad on board was not. 

      Piper needed only a few words through Leo's improvised bullhorn to convince the pilot to land on the mountain. The Park Service copter was big enough for medical evacuations or search and rescue, and when Piper told the very nice ranger pilot lady that it would be a great idea to fly them to the Oakland Airport, she readily agreed.

      "No," her dad muttered, as they picked him up off the ground. "Piper, what—there were monsters—there were monsters—"

      Leo frowned as he and Jason lifted Mr. McLean from the spot Kyra had placed him in. By now, blood had soaked through most of the make-shift bandages Kyra had made using the sleeves of her dress. He watched Kyra as she observed his wounds and appearance with a worried look, biting her lip in concentration. 

      Coach Hedge gathered their supplies as Leo and Jason carried Piper's dad toward the helicopter. Fortunately, Hedge had put his pants and shoes back on, so Piper didn't have to explain the goat legs. It broke Leo's heart to see her dad like this—pushed beyond the breaking point, crying like a little boy. He didn't know what the giant had done to him exactly, how the monsters had shattered his spirit, but he knew Piper couldn't stand to find out.

       "It'll be okay, Dad," Piper said, making her voice as soothing as possible. 

      "These people are my friends. We're going to help you. You're safe now."

      He blinked and looked up at helicopter rotors. "Blades. They had a machine with so many blades. They had six arms..."

      Leo watched as Kyra took a deep breath and spoke softly to Piper's dad. "Hi Mr. McLean, my name is Kyra I'm one of Piper's friends." 

      "Piper. . . " the movie star breathed out in a daze. 

      "Yes, Piper" Kyra responded gently. "I know things are really scary right now, and you've probably been hurt a lot but I promise things will get better okay? Y-you have Piper as a daughter and she's really amazing. She's so kind and understanding. She, Jason, and Leo helped me leave a place where I was hurt too, so I know it's really hard right now and you're confused but you're going to be okay," she finished softly as Leo watched tears begin to form in her eyes. 

      Leo felt his heart clench in his chest at Kyra's words. She spoke so kindly to the man even though he could see that it made her uncomfortable. Kyra's dress, like the rest of the group's clothes, was ripped and covered in dirt from the mountain. He could see more scars trailing up her arms that were previously covered by her long sleeves. Jagged white lines of various sizes were randomly displaced on her arms. Some were more faded than others, but there were some that looked almost brand new. He frowned as his gaze traveled down to her wrists once more, an indent of a chain around each bruised wrist, leaving dark marks and cuts around them. Who did this? There was no way Medea could have done all of this to her. How long had she been treated like this? Like she was worth nothing? 

      He shook his head as the group approached the helicopter, Jason and Leo starting to struggle with the movie star's weight as he slumped against them, exhausted. 

      When they got him to the bay doors with Kyra still speaking words of encouragement softly to him, the pilot came over to help.

      "What's wrong with him?" she asked.

      "Smoke inhalation," Jason suggested. "Or heat exhaustion."

      "We should get him to a hospital," the pilot said.