four // jungkook

"Boss."

I hum, tasting the broth.

Seokjin shows me to give him the spoon. He's the first sous chef. Moved here from Korea six years ago, used to run his own restaurant in Seoul. "Let me finish. There is someone at the door who wants to talk to you," he says.

My first thought is 'Célestine'. I almost laugh at how quickly she's became the first thing I think about. "Who?" I ask him.

"The director of Sapphire Lakes," he says casually. If I was still tasting the broth, I'd probably spit it out.

"What?! What is he doing here?!"

"I don't know, he wants to talk with the boss." Seokjin waves at me. "Go, I'll finish cooking."

Sapphire Lakes is a new Korean psychological thriller. Came out at the beginning of this year, three months ago, and already swept almost every award and praise possible. A worldwide success. I saw it twice already, both times as exhilarating as if I'd never seen it before.

I take the apron off on my way out, smooth my shirt out and make sure I don't have any food on my face. He's waiting for me next to the door. Shorter than me, chunkier, dressed in jeans, white shirt and a casual black blazer. His face is familiar, I've seen tones of interviews with him.

"Hi," I say, approaching him. "Jeon Jungkook. The owner."

His smiles widens, cheeks dimple, as he shakes my hand. "Hello! Song Hyunjoo. Nice to meet you," he says in English. As much as I'd love to talk to him in Korean, as of now I can say exactly seventeen words in Korean, and they won't make a conversation.

"Shall we take a seat?" I ask.

"Oh, sure. I won't take much of your time."

"Would you like anything to drink?"

"No, thank you. I'm in a bit of a rush. I just have an important matter to discuss." We take a seat at the last free table. He goes straight to the point. "The Oscars are in two weeks, I'm not sure if you know, but that's not the point. My movie is nominated, and most of the cast is, too, in different categories. Many of us are going to be here and, whether the results are satisfying or not, I was thinking of organizing a little party for the actors and the staff. As a 'thank you' for working with me. And I wanted to ask if it's possible to rent this whole place for the day and host it here. I've heard only the best things about this place."

"Of course it's possible," I say, giving him a friendly smile. I've had celebrities rent it before, but for private parties, like birthdays. They paid a tone extra just to keep it a secret. Now I'm gonna have the entire cast of the Sapphire Lakes in here. It's an honour.

"Can we settle this now?" he asks, pulling his wallet out of his pocket.

"Of course, no problem."

In no more than ten minutes, we settle the date, time and the menu. He pays in advance, also leaves a contact to him and his assistant, and then he needs to go, because his driver impatiently knocks on the window next to our table.

Non-Korean celebrities have less expectations about the food. Even though I am confident in that skill, there's a sense of responsibility when it comes to Korean customers. Let alone worldwide film superstars.

At the end of the day, I call everyone to the kitchen before they call it a day and let them know to prepare for a party. Everyone, without an exception, hollers when I mention the movie name. I'm glad we're all equally excited, no one will be slacking.

When everyone has left, and I am putting the chairs at the counter in a straight line, the door clicks open. My lips curve as soon as hooded Célestine walks in. Those two days I haven't seen her stretched like years.