CHAPTER FIFTY-ONE

THE BLACK BULLS HAD JUST BROUGHT VETTO DOWN.

Noelle was the first to notice that his mana had vanished.

"This time..." she gasped. "We really won!"

"Heh... heh heh heh... how'd ya like that, you... jerk!" Asta asked the unconscious man.

He was pulled back towards his seniors who hugged him tightly.

"Well done!" Finral said.

"Excellent job, kid!" Vanessa said.

Asta would have probably been happy to hear that. Expect, his arms were killing him after what Vetto did to him.

"You guys... That hurts!" He said, his eyeballs bulging out.

"Ah, sorry," Vanessa said as she and Finral sweat dropped.

"You let yourself get this torn up while believing in us of all people..." Finral said. "There's something wrong with you, Asta. And Yoshiko too. She loves us too much that she trusts us completely,"

"Heh, heh. What're you talking about?" He asked. "You're our seniors and Captain Yami let you join his brigade. You bet we believe in you!!"

At his words, the elder mages smiled softly.

"Excuse me?" Noelle interrupted while blushing slightly. "I'm here too, you know!"

"Oh, Noelle! You were amazing too! That new spell was incredible!" Vanessa praised.

"Th-that's right. Praise me more!" The water mage insisted.

"Hey, on top of that, you're cute!!" Finral flirted.

"Th-that's right. Praise me more!"

"All right!! Let's go have a nice victory drink," Vanessa cheered.

"Wait, this is no time to be drinking!" Asta said. "We've got to tie that guy up somehow and arrest him! There's tons of stuff I want to ask him! Like about the eye that came out of his forehead and why they want Yoshiko so badly!"

Vetto was somehow awake but thinking of the past. One where he lived a long, long time ago.

"Aah... waah..."

"Don't cry Vetto," a gentle voice told him.

"Yeah. My sister'll heal him right back to it's prime," a spunky but gentle voice added.

"They were tormenting this tiny bird. I couldn't forgive them..." Vetto said holding a small bird in his hands. "Licht, Kazuya-san... I'm sorry. Thanks for always helping me,"

"What are you saying? We're friends, aren't we? We'll help you anytime," Licht said.

"Ya know, this bird is unique cause it can fly. Humans can't even with their puny magic. It's just like us. We have the ability to fly like no one else. That's why they hate us," Kazuya said with a grin.

"But I... I've got a feeling someday us and the humans will be able to understand each other," Licht said.

"Eh. Maybe. For now, let's just beat up those guys,"

"Kazuya!"

"What? I'm not gonna let them go!"

"Licht...! Kazuya-san...!"

'Hope hm? It really is sweet. To us Licht and Kazuya-san were... yes, they were hope themselves. Especially Hikari-chan and her gifted light dragon affinity. But that hope was stolen from us. By you... humans!!'