Chapter Forty-One

Começar do início

His palm was flat against the wood before she got it very far, and he said, "We need to speak with you, Mrs. Mueller."

"Ms."

He raised an eyebrow.

"It's miss not missus." She repeated as if they were stupid.

"I'm sorry, Ms. Mueller."

"What's this about?"

"It's about your daughter, Cassandra."

She rolled her eyes at the mention of Rosie, "What's she gotten herself into this time? I'm not paying off another one of her debts-"

"Ms. Mueller," CeCe interrupted, speaking softer than Griffin had, "please, can we come in?"

Ms. Mueller sighed, but stepped aside for them. "Fine, but make it quick. I've got someone comin' over in a few, and I won't want other company."

Griff and CeCe exchanged looks, but walked inside. It was small, a one bedroom that had obviously been lived in for a few decades. The walls were painted an awful yellow, mold in one of the corners, while the shag carpet likely hadn't been vacuumed in a year. There were no pictures on the walls or any hint that this woman had a daughter.

"So, what's she need this time?" Asked Ms. Mueller, sitting down in an old floral print recliner.

Both Griffin and CeCe remained standing.

"We've actually got some bad news."

She only raised her eyebrow.

"Your daughter, Cassandra," Griffin started, feeling that uncomfortable weight settle on his chest. This happened every time he was supposed to deliver this news, and he'd done it for many of the men and women in the Styles' employ. It was always awful. Sometimes he could still hear the screams of anguish of the parents or spouses. He cleared his throat, "She's been found dead."

Silence followed that. They watched Ms. Mueller digest the news, her brows furrowed, until she leaned back in her chair and sighed exhaustingly, "I wish I could say I was surprised."

Griffin blinked, never having that reaction. It was CeCe who spoke, "What?"

"That girl was always putting herself in bad spots." She reached over and plucked a cigarette out of a pack, lighting it right in front of them. Blowing out smoke, she continued, "First it was bad boyfriends - always the older ones, then it was the drugs. She dropped out of high school after I begged her to finish out her senior year. She's been in and out of this house since, only coming back when she needed something. Did the drugs finally get her?"

Griffin glanced at CeCe to see her looking rather pissed off. "No, she was murdered. Her body was dumped by the docks."

That stopped the woman, but unfortunately not for long, "Probably one of those men of hers. I head she was strippin' in old town? Was she still doing that?"

"Yes, and just so you know she was sober." CeCe bit out, barely containing her rage. Ms. Mueller didn't even notice. "She's been sober for two years, got her GED last year, and she was saving up to go to community college."

"Hmpf, still strippin', though."

"Well, it's not like she felt comfortable coming back here." She shot back, "What did you expect from her?"

Ms. Mueller finally caught on to CeCe's tone, "I raised that girl. And I tried, I really did, but there is no use in dragging myself down with her-"

"Maybe all she needed was a little support. Maybe all she needed to know was that you loved her, and-"