chapter 5 the new name

Qi Xiăotiān was beyond excited, he could sign up as a knight! Finally!
Today was sign ups for some tournament, if you win, you could have a chance at any job in the royal palace. As expected, it was a fighting tournament. He went over to the sign up,

" hello, signing up today sir?" The person asked, wearing a suit with the royal Crest on it. Qi Xiăotiān nodded,

" great, age and name? Also, know your name will be called out before fighting." The attendant said, open in hand, the words coming out easily. Qi Xiăotiān freaked, he needed to come up with a different name now. If he didn't, Pigsy would know he was a contestant, and even if he won, he would make sure he didn't become a knight.

" Um, I'm 18, and uh, my name is......" he paused, deep in thought, mind churning. The attendant looked up, raising an eyebrow. " my name is Mk!" He blurted out, the attendant nodded,

" is it a short version of another name?" They asked,

" Yes, um..Monkie kid?" He said, his tone almost sounding like a question.

" alrighty Mk, the ceremony is this friday." They said, their face still the professional monotone. He nodded, excitedly walking away. Qi Xiăotiān thought about his make believe name, it sounded right. Being called that, it was shorter and easier too, people always struggled saying Qi Xiăotiān. Smiling, he decided, he'd be the knight known as Mk! He walked to Mei's place, wanting to tell her the news. Once he did she gasped happily, stars in her eyes.

" Good job, Qi- Mk!" She corrected quickly.

" Thanks. I'm glad they didn't ask many questions. Guess the royal family really is understaffed." Mk guessed, a soft smile on his face. He was always happy to be around Mei, not because he was in love, but because he knew she was the only one who supported him for everything. They trained together for hours a day, always glad to have a worthy opponent. Even if it was just training.

" hows training go with your secret mentor?" She asked,

" it's fine, though he won't stop trying to convince me out of being a knight." Mk admitted, letting out a sigh. Mei giggled,

" Aww, monkey boy going to miss you. And he knows it." She laughed once more. Mk joined in, it was true, him and the monkey demon had grown very close. Mk talked to him about everything he couldn't with Pigsy and Mei. To him, he was a second father, or maybe third. Mk knew Sun Wukong felt close with him as well, no matter how much he denied. " wanna train a bit?" Mei asked,

" not today. Gotta run a extra shift at Pigsy's." Mk said, gathering any stuff he brought. Mei waved bye, and Mk repeated. The boy ran over to his fathers work place, opening the door. He quickly tried gaining back the breath he'd lost. Looking up at a annoyed pig face,

" your late." He said, voice loud and booming.

" I was busy." He simply replied, softly shoving his pig dad out of the way. The pig demon scoffed, shortly after following his son. Tang, Mk's other father stared at Mk, watching him work.

  " something happen?" He suddenly asked, Mk looked back. His other dad having a calm smile on his face.

" I decided to change my name." He concluded, Pigsy almost choked on his spit. Rage bubbling in his stomach, what was wrong with the name he had?

" Really? To what?" Tang asked, glaring ever so slightly at his partner.

" To Mk." He said quickly, felling his pig dad's building anger rising. To Pigsy, his anger was bubbling. Why change his name? Was the name he had not good enough? Then why change it to such a simple name? Pigsy scrunched his face, ignoring the gnawing questions.

" why?" Tang said calmly.

" it felt right." He said, glancing at his father. Pigsy almost immediately felt bad, feeling embarrassed for his earlier anger. All signs disappearing, leaving only shame.

" Right, congratulations kid. If that's what you want." Pigsy said, voice low. Mk nodded, shocked almost. Thinking his father would have yelled at him for wanting a different name. His father had always loved his old name. Mk softly sighed, continuing his work. Having small chit chats with Tang. The day passed in a flash, and Mk went upstairs to his bedroom. He flopped on the bed, stopping his thoughts so he could go to bed with a clear head. His eyes drooped and he was out in a instant.