²⁸the little things

january, sixteenth.

SMALL GESTURES BECAME UBIQUITOUS. tosca and trent were not the types of people to be overly affectionate in public — especially her. modesty, though it was beginning to fade between the two of them, still retained traces of their tumultuous past. so it was just the little things. he would tuck a lock of hair behind her ear, pull the jersey with his name on it down over her buttocks, pinch one of her cheeks when she decided to sulk or hold the door for her whenever he had the chance. tosca, on the other hand, would wrap her arm around his when some of the girls looked at him a little too intensely, would come and seek comfort in his arms after the end of each school day, or would just play with his fingers before finally intertwining hers with his. it was the little gestures, the little things.

trent appreciated the way they became more and more comfortable in their feelings for each other. although they were already physically comfortable, trust was something that could not be neglected for a healthy and lasting relationship. and they were building it day by day.

aside from the little things, it was mostly the looks. they were always staring at each other, without even realizing it. whenever trent wasn't busy, he would rush to find the young woman's eyes. and vice versa for her. everyone had noticed. his teammates had not yet said anything, but trent could feel the eyes on them all the time as soon as he was deliberately close to the italian. close as he had never been before — at least in public. it was no longer teasing or cutting jokes that were thrown at the other but big smiles and heartfelt eyes.

this closeness was all the more noticeable that afternoon after the team had won three-nil against brentford and trent, had contributed to the victory with a decisive pass, especially when he happily approached tosca and hugged her tightly in the car park, "another assist, pretty good uh?" he said in her ear as he placed a wet kiss on her neck.

"no it was pure shit," she replied, her words muffled as her face was buried in trent's neck.

it was also that in the end. the compliments disguised under her sarcasm, as it always had been. that sarcasm never missed an opportunity to make the footballer laugh.

"thanks for always being so supportive, it warms my heart," he placed his hand on his chest to illustrate his words.

she winked at him, which made him smile. andy watched the conversation in amazement next to them, alternating his gaze between trent and tosca each time one of them spoke. it was tosca who noticed it first. a grin broke on her face before she elbowed trent to get him to look at him too.

"are you guys finally...?" robbo stuck his index and middle fingers together, still shocked.

the scouser couldn't help but let out a laugh at his best friend's face, "do you really think that i'd date someone like her?" said trent, rolling his eyes in mock irritation.

"yeah for real robbo, be logical please," she replied in return, putting her arm around trent's waist as he put his hand on her opposite shoulder.

andy looked at them, confused. their actions belied their words and he was unfortunately not clever enough to understand that they were totally playing him.

"i don't understand."

the look of pure emptiness that had formed in his eyes confirmed it and accentuated the chuckles of the two adults in front of him. curtis, not far away, had followed the conversation and was also laughing at the scot's lack of realism.

"yeah we're together robbo, we were just joking around," trent finally said between laughs, ending the joke.

it was the first time trent had said it out loud. it felt strange. but it also filled his heart with joy. the warm feeling that invaded his chest was far from unpleasant. he felt the pressure of tosca's fingers tighten around his waist as if she wanted to tell him that she, too, felt this feeling in her chest. he lowered his gaze on the young woman who had raised hers at the same time, they exchanged a small knowing smile before a cry of excitement worthy of a six-year-old girl came from robbo's mouth after their announcement. he looked at them with his mouth open for a few seconds, his eyes round like marbles, placing his hand over his mouth.