²²merry christmas

december, twenty-fourth.

ON CHRISTMAS MORNING, tosca went out — still in her pajamas — to get the post, but her surprise was great when she discovered a large box on top of her mailbox. her name written in marker on it intrigued her even more. curious, she went inside and took the box in her arms. gently, she put it on her living room table, trying to be as quiet as possible, not wanting to wake up her parents who were still sleeping, before finally looking at it more closely.

when she saw the sender's address, her heart missed a beat.

the tape was quickly peeled off, though feverishly, as her hands trembled. as much as she hated to admit it, she so hoped the package was from trent. and as quickly as the two flaps of the box were opened and all the objects were exposed to her eyes, her wish was granted. the contents of this box left no doubt about the sender and tosca couldn't help but let out a small smile. one by one, she took each object in her hands while the same memories that trent had when he put them in the box came back to her. her smile grew even bigger when it was the pasta that she had between her fingers. the things she had found the most interesting were reserved for the end, including the young man's letter and his gift.

that's why, once she had discovered everything, she took one of the two envelopes and opened it. only a piece of paper came out, a simple piece of paper, which, when she unfolded it and started reading the first lines, became much more than a simple piece of paper. as she flew over the words on the white paper, her throat tightened and her lip got caught between her teeth. although the room was empty and she was alone, the young woman was desperately trying to mask her emotions — she was supposedly still angry with him.

yet, when she read one of the last sentences, the one where trent told her how important she was to him, she couldn't hold back the tingling in her nose and her eyes became brighter than before from the tears that were threatening to run down her cheeks. already quite shaken up at the end of her reading, she almost forgot that there was more. the stencil was one of them. the bracelet she pulled out of it was so perfect that she hardly dared touch it for fear that it would break into thousands of pieces. so she left it in its pouch and took the other envelope in her hands before she opened it uncertainly. no sooner had the plane tickets come out than she already knew what they were. the inside of her cheeks was ruined because of her biting them.

in front of her, she spread the two pieces of paper but frowned when she read their contents. one was a round trip while the other was a one-way one. confused, her gaze wandered around, looking for an answer to her question. it was only a few seconds later that she opened the envelope and discovered the note that trent had left for her, and it all made sense. the round trip ticket was for giulia.

the one-way ticket was for her.

-,

giulia looked at tosca with her mouth wide open, shock evident on her face after the young woman showed her the entire contents of the box. even though she already knew about the gift, she clearly wasn't expecting the letter or the plane tickets.

giulia had come to tosca's house in a hurry when she had been invited by the latter in an emergency. she had found her facing her table, her eyes blank as if she had just learned the worst news of her life when it was probably just the opposite.

now sitting next to her, she had just explained everything to her, and it was safe to say that giulia had not expected this. "allora, mi invita a liverpool?" she asked tosca who only nodded, "gratis?" so, he's inviting me to liverpool? for free?

"sì." yes.

"damn."

"yep," tosca continued to shake her head in equal dismay as her best friend.