¹⁴italy

october, twenty-seventh.

THE IDEA HAD BEEN FLOATING AROUND IN HER HEAD FOR A WHILE, but now that she was booking a plane ticket, she thought it felt a little too real. whatever, she clicked the button that would send her straight to her homeland to recharge her batteries — and away from trent. tomorrow. she had made arrangements with the university for her studies to be done at distance and had packed her bags quickly.

she didn't know if she really wanted to warn trent of her departure given the state of their relationship at the moment, and he probably wouldn't care anyway. after all, he was the one who wanted to end it all, not her. she still wanted to say goodbye to most of the team and had sent messages back and forth to everyone. all the answers had broken her heart a little because they were often punctuated by questions she would have preferred not to have to answer, but also because she knew that she was not going to see them again for an indefinite period, and after all, they occupied a large part of her life.

on the other hand, her parents had learned the news with satisfaction but without going into too much detail, they were not the type to be very expressive anyway, and tosca had come to terms with it. she had never had an idyllic relationship with her parents, but that didn't bother her so much now, she had come to accept it.

giulia, for her part, had jumped for joy when the young woman announced her return. tosca knew at least that she would be well received in her native land by her best friend for this little break.

she still had to take her degree here in liverpool and if she was honest, she couldn't see herself living anywhere else for the rest of her life, even though italy will always be a big part of her heart.

two hours before she embarked, the guilt of still not having informed trent of her departure was gradually beginning to creep into her thoughts and her heart. waiting for her flight to be announced, her foot was moving at a nervous pace. she didn't think she would mind so much, especially since the guys on the team had probably told him since yesterday. so if he had a goodbye to say to the young woman, he would probably have done it already.

but she had received nothing, not a message or a call, confirming her suspicions that he no longer cared about her. so she took a deep breath, relaxed her body and finally stood up, ready to go back to italy, to milan. no matter what he thought, trent was no longer part of her life and she had to stop caring.

when her head hit the headrest and she was finally seated, she told herself that these times in italy could only be beneficial to her and that it would be much easier to turn the page thousands of kilometers away from trent than to live in the same city where running into him was not uncommon.

-,

it wasn't thirty degrees, the sun wasn't shining on the cobblestones that led her straight home, and yet, when tosca stepped onto the front porch of her childhood home, a big smile broke out on her lips. a big smile that grew even bigger when giulia stormed out of the front door to greet tosca properly. they held hands and jumped up and down like two fools, happy to be together at last.

once they were untied, tosca looked over giulia's shoulder to where both her parents were standing in the doorway. she stepped forward with a smile on her lips, but when her mother only waved at her, she was quickly brought back to reality and waved back, her lips only joined in a tight-lipped smile now.

"il viaggio non è stato troppo lungo?" simply asked her father by taking the young woman's suitcases. wasn't the trip too long?

"no, andava bene, grazie," she thanked him before a little silence settled between the three of them. no, it was fine, thank you.