²⁷can we just talk?

january, first.

THREE SMALL KNOCKS were heard on the bathroom door when tosca had already been in the bath for more than half an hour. half an hour that had left her even more upset and confused than after the meal with trent's parents. her head resting against the edge of the bathtub, she still had no desire to get out of the water, nor to talk, but trent seemed to think otherwise.

"can i come in?" his voice came from behind the door.

"no," was the only thing she said as he sighed.

he sighed a lot today because of her, but looking back at it, he probably deserved to do so, "come on please, we need to talk and you know it."

"we never talk trent, it always ends badly," she sank a little deeper into her bath and sighed in exasperation.

"maybe it's time to try. didn't you say you didn't want to fight anymore?" he asked wearily, running his hands over his face.

"you're making it hard not to," she raised her voice a little to make sure he could hear her through the walls, "i don't know if you realise trent, you said that i was your girlfriend to your parents, like... " she put her hands on either side of her temples in bewilderment, though he couldn't see her.

"yeah, i said that and i'm sorry 'bout it but don't make it as bad as it sounds!"

"'cause it is trent!"

"i don't think it went that bad for fuck sake!"

"of course it didn't go that bad we've known each other for three years it's easy to lie about a relationship!" she said in a burst of anger, "doesn't mean it makes it okay though trent!"

their voices were getting louder and louder and trent realized once again that they still had a hard time communicating without raising their voices at each other. "would it be that terrible to be together?" he exclaimed, his eyebrows furrowed as he let his arms fall to his side.

a heavy silence fell on the other side of the door after the young man's question. tosca swallowed her saliva with difficulty before relaxing her shoulders with a sigh, playing with the foam floating on the water.

"i-i didn't say that."

another silence took place where trent took a deep breath to calm himself and resume things with more gentleness. they couldn't go on like this. "i'm so sorry tosca, really, but i don't want to tell you that through a door, so can you please let me in? i-i'm so tired of fighting with you. i want to talk to you, for once."

"okay come in," she finally announced lower down before the door handle was gently lowered in almost perfect silence.

he slipped his head into the opening but the young woman did not deign to turn her gaze towards him, keeping her eyes closed, her head back. trent slid his body inside the bathroom and closed the door behind him. he then leaned against it and crossed his arms before observing the young woman without any discretion. then, timidly, he took his place on the rather wide edge of the bathtub at the end of it before rolling up the bottom of his jogging pants to plunge the bottom of his calves into the hot water of the bath. it was at this moment that she finally opened her eyes to look into his.

she was so beautiful. her soaked hair was plastered back on her head while her eyelashes, wet from the water, had lengthened all the more, making her green eyes even more piercing. foam floated over the water, hiding the young woman's naked body. even in her natural state, she had this gift of amazing him with her fine defined features.

she finally moved her legs up towards her body to make more room for trent's, and then gently tilted her head to the side, as if waiting for him to start talking. but what he didn't know was that she had something else in mind. without any warning, tosca took some foam with her hand and spread it on the young man's face. he stood with his mouth wide open for a few seconds before he caught a glimpse of the smile on tosca's lips, making him stretch his own. as he began to complain about the soap in his eyes and chest, tosca broke into an infectious laugh.