¹⁶how's italy?

october, twenty-ninth.

WHEN HER PHONE RINGED while she was in the middle of her work, tosca put the screen on the side of the table so it wouldn't distract her. with her knees pulled up to her chest and her computer turned on in front of her, she read her teacher's lecture carefully, wanting to make sure she didn't fall behind on the syllabus even though she wasn't in class. however, when the calls became repetitive, she finally turned the phone towards her to see who kept calling her.

trent, it was trent, and she felt her throat tighten.

she was so unprepared for the call from the young man that she was more than a little confused. what did he want? her heart raced as she thought about the fact that he had no idea she was in italy right now. her thumb finally pressed the green button, even though she didn't want to. she put her phone on speaker and closed her eyes, biting her nails, nervous about what the footballer's first words would be.

"how's italy?" trent asked with all the bitterness he had for her in his voice.

tosca tensed her face as soon as he finished speaking, he knew, and from the tone, he had just used, the conversation was surely not going to be a fun one — if it didn't turn into an argument.

"trent... i—"

"i asked you a question," he said bluntly. he only heard a deep sigh on the other end of the phone, showing him that she didn't know what to answer at all. "are you gonna say something or?"

"um, i-i what am i supposed to say trent?"

trent scoffed at her words, wondering where she got her audacity from as he felt his anger grows even more. she said nothing in return, totally embarrassed by the situation as it was so unexpected. "i can't believe you left without telling me anything. do you know how dumb i looked when i understood that everybody knew expect me?"

"i didn't want you to find out like this."

"you didn't want me to find out at all," he let out a hollow laugh, his dark eyes fixed on the road.

"i-i knew you'd find out sooner or later, but not like this".

"then why the hell didn't you tell me?! sending me a simple message was too complicated? but not to the whole team, huh," he raised his angry voice as he let out a nervous chuckle after he had finished speaking, looking forward to seeing how the young woman would defend the indefensible.

"i don't know trent, i honestly don't know."

"that's the only thing you have to say?" he scoffed at her words, she left for another country without telling him, and "i don't know" was the only thing she was able to give him as an explanation, he couldn't believe it.

tosca's knees were shaking from the stress. hearing trent's voice again for almost a month was disturbing to her, even more so when he was yelling at her. her sweaty hands made her phone slippery and she was just fiddling with the end of her sweater, trying to calm herself down, but the silence that persisted on the liverpool side of the phone terrified her.

"i didn't think you would care that much, to be honest," she said so quietly that trent needed five seconds to register what she had said before his eyebrows furrowed.

"i-i don't. you do what you want," the young man declared.

tosca was left confused, from the way he had been talking to her earlier, he didn't seem to not care at all, "then why did you call me trent?"

"because i wanted to ask you why," he said, trying to get out of this situation.

"so far you've just yelled at me, at no point you've asked me why," she rolled her eyes.