Chapter 15

Bailey woke up and groaned as she stretched. Seeing someone sitting in the window seat she turned on the lamp on the nightstand. "Spence," She gasped.

"Do you know what's cool about Halloween?" He asked as he looked around her Halloween themed room. "The cool thing about Halloween is that it's an uniquely American holiday. I mean, despite its obvious origins in the Celtic festival of Samhain and the Christian All Saints' Day, it really is a melting pot of various immigrants' traditions and beliefs. It became a little more commercialized in the 1950's with trick-or-treat, and today it rivals only Christmas in terms of popularity."

"That seems about right," She smiled laying there watching him take interest in all her little knickknacks.

"Do you wanna know why horror movies are so successful?"

"Why's that, Spence?" She asked softly.

"They prey on our instinctual need to survive. In tribal days, a woman's scream would signal danger and the men would return from hunting to protect their pack. That's' why it's always the women and not the men who fall victim to the bogeyman."

"Women are starting to fight back now," She pointed out and he nodded in agreement.

He came over to the bed and she scooted over so he could sit beside her. "You know, contrary to popular belief, decapitation is not that easy," He said after a few moments of silence.

"Hmmm," She shifted to look at him better, "you don't often hear 'popular' and 'decapitation' in the same sentence. I would probably look at the person like they were crazy if that sentence came out of anyone else's mouth but yours. And yet, coming from you it's just so....normal."

"Believe me, Bailey, when I say this," Spencer shook his head, "I've never known a normal day in my entire life."

"I know," She whispered. After a few more minutes of silence she took her hand and placed it in his, "What are you doing here, Spence?"

"I heard you had a flashback," He answered honestly. "I wanted to make sure you are okay."

There was a knock on the door and Sean walked in with a bottle in his hand. She pulled her hand out of Spencer's. "It's time for your meds Pookie," He said softly. "And Aunt Lily said she is free all day to come talk to you whenever you are ready to see her."

Bailey stuck her tongue out then sat up with a sigh. Spencer chuckled, "No on gets therapy these days without a healthy dose of medication."

"What are you implying, Spence?" Bailey asked after she took the pills from Sean.

"That everyone is medicated," he shrugged.

"Are you?" She asked point blank.

"Yes," He answered honestly.

"Oh," She whispered.

"Breakfast is ready," Sean said softly. "You need to eat so the meds don't upset your stomach."

"We will be down in just a few moments," Spencer said and Sean nodded then left.

"Spence," She whispered, "I'm losing interest."

"Well, the brain is a machine, designed to respond to stimuli," He sighed softly. "Repetitive thinking is a death mill for the brain. For complete brain usage, diverse stimulation is the key."

"English, Boy Wonder," She chuckled shaking her head.

"Try something new," He shrugged then helped her out of bed. She hugged him and he slowly hugged her back. "You will one day be okay Bailey."

"Thanks Spence," She whispered as she took a step back.

He nodded and left the room. She took a deep breath then slowly let it out. After she got dressed she grabbed her brush and headed down the stairs. She handed it to Gabe who took it and led her to the living room so she could sit comfortably on the floor.

"Would you like for me to teach you chess today, Bailey?" Spencer asked not looking up from the book he was currently flipping through.

"You play chess?" Owen asked and Spencer nodded.

"Not actually," Bailey chuckled. "You can make a move then Spence will tell you check mate in so many moves. It's pretty funny to watch."

"Interesting," Owen said adjusting his tie. "I'm up for a match if you would like."

"Bailey?" Spencer asked and she grinned.

"I love to watch you play Spence," She nodded. "It fascinates me."

"After breakfast," Marc said coming into the room. "Morning Beautiful, come eat."

"How are you feeling Peanut?" Nathan asked as he came down the stairs.

"I'm sorry Nathan," She said hugging him. "Did I hurt you?"

"Nope," He smiled, "I'm still as strong as steel. I'm sorry I triggered it."

"Guess now we know we have to work on approaching me from behind while I'm not paying attention," She shrugged. "I'm glad I didn't accidentally hurt you."

"Come on Peanut," he smiled, "food smells good."

"You are always hungry," She chuckled as everyone sat down. She smiled at everyone together at the table, it brought her peace. "How long are you here, Spence?"

"I have to be back tomorrow," He said after wiping his mouth. "But JJ could call me back at any time, just so you know."

"I know," She smiled softly. "I appreciate you coming to see me when you can."

He nodded, "I always will."