chapter 124

It's the next day now and I wake up before Ryujin. I get out of bed and take a quick shower.

I decide I want to go for a walk this morning so I leave Ryujin a note before taking off.

I get outside and it's a beautiful weather today. I walk along the beach as I enjoy the morning breeze. There's not a lot of people out. Some are doing their morning run, some are probably been out to watch the sun rise.

I stop at an area where there's even less people. I squat down to draw on the sand. It's been a while since I've been to a beach. I wanted to take Eva before but Dana said that she's too young to even remember it so what's the point of going.

I look out to the water and it's pretty calm at the moment. I sit on the sand to just enjoy the view. The world is more beautiful than I thought. I always saw it as gloomy and dull but now everything seems brighter so I appreciate my surroundings better.

I remember last night's events and I can't help but smile. I'm in my honeymoon with the person I love. I may sound like a broken record but I just feel like this is all a dream.

"You look very happy" Someone says and I look up to see an older woman in front of me. She looks like she's in her mid to late 60's.

"Oh hi" I politely say.

"Mind if I join you? I could use some company" she smiles at me.

"Sure but we can go somewhere more comfortable so you don't have to sit on the sand" I say, getting ready to stand up.

"It's okay. I'd like to enjoy the view as well" she carefully sit down next to me.

I look ahead, feeling shy about the situation.

"I'm Dorothy" she offers her hand for a handshake.

"I'm Yeji" I accept her hand.

"What a beautiful name" she compliments me.

"Thank you" I shyly say.

"What brings you here to this beach?" She ask another question.

I always find it interesting how older people can just start a conversation with you like it's the easiest thing to do.

"I'm in my honeymoon, actually."

"Oh yea? Where's your husband?"

I tense up with the mention of husband. I contemplate whether to tell her that I have a wife and not a husband but I'm scared of how she would react.

"I—" I hesitate to say.

"What's wrong?" She looks at me, waiting for an answer.

"I don't have one. I actually have a wife" I finally say.

"Ohh. You're a lesbian?"

"I actually don't label myself as anything. I guess I'd label myself as Ryujin's wife and that's it."

"Oh" she simply says and tension between us becomes awkward.

"Congratulations on your wedding then" she tries to lighten the mood.

"Thank you" I say as I start to fidget with my fingers.

"Can I ask why you're alone?" I change the subject.

"I visit this resort every year on my wedding anniversary" she smiles, remembering her memories, "This is where my husband took me for our honeymoon. We didn't have a big wedding or have a lot of money but he saved up just to give me a honeymoon."

"That's so sweet" I say, "Where is he?"

"He passed away last year so this is the first year I'm here without him. We were married for almost 50 years. He was my high school sweetheart. We got married as soon as I turned 18" she shares.