chapter 39

I pick up Eva and get her ready for bed right away. I feel like Ryujin and I need to have a serious talk tonight of what our plans are for the future. After getting Eva ready for bed, I sing her a lullaby and rock her to sleep. I lay her down on the bed and I notice Ryujin watching me the whole time.

I sit on the end of the bed and she sits next to me. I look at her feeling nervous and I don't even know how to start the conversation.

"You do see a future for us, right? It's not just me" I finally ask.

She looks at me, "Yes. I would like to still be with you in the future. You're worried about the whole we live in two different countries thing right?" She ask.

I nod my head, "I don't want to do long distance forever."

"We won't. Let me ask you this, do you want to live here in Canada or do you not care?"

I think about it for a moment. Aside from my family, I don't have much that ties me down here. I can always visit my family and they can visit me. As to Ryujin, she has a decent job back in the states. It's going to be hard to leave my family but I want to be with Ryujin.

I don't want to leave because of my family but at the same time it's not like I was living close to them when I was with Dana. I still had to travel to see them. What's the difference if I move to the states?

"Yeji? Are you okay?" Ryujin ask. I didn't realize I've been thinking for so long.

"Sorry, I was just thinking" I say.

"Oh. Don't hurt yourself from thinking too much" she has this devilish smile.

I roll my eyes at her, "You sound like my dad."

"Sorry. I had a need to say it" she laughs.

"How about you? Would you move here if I ask you to?" I ask being serious again.

"I would" she simply answer, surprising me.

"What about your family? You'd be okay with leaving your family?"

"Sometimes you have to sacrifice one thing to gain another thing. Besides I can always visit them. I want to be with you" She says to me.

With that thought, I made my decision. I'll move to the states with her. I like that she's not making me move but giving me a choice of what I want. My exes never did that for me. I'm trying so hard not to compare her to my previous relationships but it's hard. It's weird to feel like you're being taken care of and valued.

"I'll move" I suddenly say.

"What?" She looks at me not sure how she should react.

"When the time comes, I'll move to where you are. Whether it's here or the states or some other country. You have your life figured out there. I'm still lost over here so it's not a big deal for me to start fresh somewhere" I say with a slight smile.

"Are you sure?" She ask me and I give her a nod.  "I'm sure" I say.

She hugs me. "I love you. You're amazing" she says. I hug her back feeling happy. It feels like I made the right decision.

She let go of the hug. "So when it's time and we're ready to take that next step, I learned that its faster and easier for you and Eva to get processed if I file you as a fiancé than married. Then when your second baby is born, we can easily add him or her" she explains then I see the embarrassment once she realizes what she just said.

I look at her confuse. Did she already do research on this? So she was expecting me to move to the states?

"How come you already know this? Did you assume I was moving to the states? Were you just pretending to give me a choice?" I give her a cold look.

She looks shock that I'm upset. "What? No? I did research on both. How to migrate to Canada and vice versa. I just mentioned the moving to the states because you said you would. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you" She looks sad for making me feel bad.

"I'm sorry I got upset. I'm just so used to being manipulated. I thought thats what you were doing."

"It's okay. Honestly, I'm still embarrassed I mentioned it. Marriage and fiancé when we're still learning more about each other" she chuckles nervously.

"It's okay. I already think about you being my last" I quickly say.

"Really?" She sounds like it's the most unbelievable thing I've said.

"I think the same thing" she laughs.

"But how do you know about the fiancé being a better choice than filing as a married couple?" I ask.

"I have a friend that's an immigration lawyer and I may or may not have been asking her questions regarding this just in case" Ryujin shyly say.

"Why are you so cute?" I smile at her.

"Because you love me" she says with a cheeky smile.

We hear Eva start crying so I get ready to pick her up when Ryujin stops me. "I'll take care of her. You can get ready for bed. It's getting late" she says to me.

I give her a questioning look. It's weird for someone to help me that's not my family. I'm so used to doing everything with Eva.

"Are you not comfortable leaving me with Eva? I understand if you don't" she looks at me with the most loving eyes.

"It's not that. I'm just not used to this. Getting help" I softly say.

She picks up Eva to stop her from crying then looks at me again, "I'll always try my best to help you, Yeji. I'm not going to be perfect. I'm gonna make some mistakes along the way but I will always try my best for you."

I walk to her to hug her and Eva. How can I feel like we're already a family in such a short time?