23

Eventually, Claire called her mom and asked her to come pick her up. As soon as she got there, she started apologizing... and Claire just promised that it was okay and said she just wanted to go home.. Oh, and Claire had borrowed a sweatshirt and sleep pants from Callum since she couldn't really go home 'from studying' in a fancy dress. She just left the dress at Callum's and said she'd get it another time. 

When she got home, she laid on the couch and watched Scary Movie with Max. He told her he missed her and she felt bad about not being around..

"You going back to Grandma's?" she asked quietly

"Yeah.. you know how I feel about this place.."

"I know, bubba.. I'm sorry"

She pulled him into her side and ruffled his hair.

"It's okay.. Just.. wish mom actually cared. Feels like we can't have emotions."

He's only eleven but he sees how busy and caught up their mother is. Claire hates that he feels that way. He's a good kid, she fears he'll fall into the wrong crowd and do the wrong things...

"I can tell you anything, right?" she asked softly

"Always"

"I have a boyfriend. I wasn't with Callum, I was with Harry"

"What's he like?"

"he's.. popular. But he's not as much of a dick as everyone makes him out to be."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, everyone thinks he's all popular parties drunk asshole.. but really.. he's free-live life how you want- party but be safe- very caring."

"He sounds good for you, sis. Does mom know?"

Claire scoffed and they both started giggling

"Hell no" she laughed out

"What's so funny?" their mother asked as she walked in through the hallway

"Nothing, just this show. It's so cringy" Max lied easily

"Come watch with us?" Claire offered

"I've got a Zoom Meeting to attend. I need you both quiet. Go outside or something to ensure you aren't disruptive"