Chapter Twenty-Two Gemma

I open my eyes and look around for Oscar; he is not here; I guess he left already.

I sigh into the ceiling and go back to bed, lie there, and think through last night; what was that?

How did we end up from talking about Ana's birthday party to a declaration of love?

Love- I roll my eyes. Really Oscar, out of all the shit I expected my husband to throw my way, love was not one of them.

I snort like a madwoman; yes, I expected to deal with insults, cheating, and even beatings. That does say much about my expectations, such a low bar. But then again, being raised in the mafia, we women understand that freedom and love are two illusions we cannot afford.

Pursuing freedom can only lead to your demise and those you care about. That is why very few try, and even fewer succeed. We don't hear about those stories; we hear about those who get caught and are dragged back into this life with a hefty payment.

Finding love is even worse; the few women who get that infliction of falling in love suffer more. Most of them look constantly sad and in agony; I imagine it must be draining to keep trying to get the approval of someone and never succeeding.

Some get the illusion that the feeling is reciprocated, and maybe it is for a while until she discovers he moved on to another love story.

Some take their lives, and some become a ghost of their former self.

I don't know about Oscar; he does seem genuine, and the chemistry we have, I don't think, can be fake.

I smile and think of him; he definitely behaves outside our norms and thinks we can live our lives outside the scripts.

It is not fake, that I know deep in my heart but would it last?

Would it be strong enough to stand dark secrets? I don't know, but I am terrified to put it to the test.

I would not be able to have his eyes see me differently. I like who he thinks I am, this whole beautiful woman. And I so much want to be her.

My hand slides to his side of the bed, it is still warm, and I catch myself moving closer to that warmth.

He is away for a few days, and he asked me to come with him if I wanted to, but I could not bring myself to; after that discussion, I thought time apart would be good for both of us.

I said nothing when he said the love word; I stood frozen in my spot. I couldn't speak; what would I say.

This is unexpected

Thanks

I could have said, me too, but I think that would be worse. I don't claim to know Oscar well, but the one thing I know is that he is excellent at detecting lies, and to lie to him will come to a great risk of losing his trust.

So it is better I said nothing rather than feign reciprocation.

My phone chirps announcing a text message; I grab it and look at the message.

Miss you already, call you tonight

I feel my stupid grin as I type back

Miss you too

That is good; he is not wallowing after last night, and we can go back to our normal life.

It is a great life; we have everything that we ever need. I don't want to risk this life, and I will not tarnish it in any way. While it lasts, I will enjoy this happiness; I am one of the few lucky women in our world.